Leaves Converse Fall Sneakers Ground
Leaves Converse Fall Sneakers Ground
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus
Wellness

6 Ways to Socialize While Staying Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

It is true that the coming school year is going to be anything but normal. As coronavirus remains a persistent risk and tight restrictions are imposed, socializing with peers can appear nearly impossible. Crowded parties, packed stadiums, and team Foco dinners seem like a thing of the past. Yet despite the changes, there are still ways to connect with other people while social distancing. Here are six ways to socialize while staying safe:

Hang out with friends virtually

While we all yearn for in-person contact, talking with friends virtually is still the safest option. Set up regular Zoom or FaceTime calls with your friends, and take the time to talk about what’s going on in your lives. You can also mix it up with some fun activities, like movie night on Netflix Party or game night on Jackbox Games, Skribbl.io (online Pictionary), or Kahoot! 

Join a club or organization

Many clubs and student organizations are running either virtual meetings or socially-distant in-person meetings this year. Find something that interests you and ask to join! Clubs are a great way to explore your interests, meet new friends, and bond with a group of people who share common interests with you.

Use social media for good

Okay, I know what you’re thinking. More social media? While many of us spend more time scrolling Instagram than we’d like to admit, I’m suggesting we use social media a little more intentionally. Instead of mindless scrolling– or worse, falling down a rabbit hole of negativity– using social media in a more positive way can help you feel more connected. Engage with social justice movements, share funny or inspirational posts, and make sure to hype up your family and friends.

Go on a socially distant walk or hike

If you want to socialize in person, being outdoors tends to be safer than being with people indoors. Take advantage of the beautiful fall weather, and go hiking with a friend or two. Or take a walk around Occom Pond, Pine Park, or a local park in your neighborhood for a milder option. Make sure to stay six feet apart and wear masks whenever possible!

Jog or do yoga with a workout buddy

Exercising with people has proven benefits for both your mental and physical health. Instead of going to a crowded gym, which can be risky for virus transmission, grab a workout buddy and exercise outdoors. You can go for a socially distant jog, do yoga in a park, or play a non-contact sport such as tennis, badminton, or frisbee.

Have a socially distant picnic

Bring sandwiches and drinks to your favorite spot and have an outdoor picnic with a friend. Make sure to sit at least six feet apart and never share food. Not only is it safer to eat with people outdoors, it can also be a more enjoyable experience than a crowded cafeteria or restaurant. On campus, I would personally recommend the golf course, the landing by the river, and even the middle of the Green as wonderful picnic spots. Picnics can also be a great date idea if you hope to find love during the pandemic! 

Although coronavirus will be a part of our reality for months to come, staying safe does not mean you cannot have fun. Despite the challenges, I hope you will still find ways to form connections, make memories, and strengthen bonds with the people you care about the most.

Emily Wang

Dartmouth '22

I am an economics major and English minor at Dartmouth. In my free time, I enjoy music, creative writing, and photography, as well as going on scenic walks, watching rom-coms with friends, and reading psychological thrillers.
Hayley Divers

Dartmouth '21

Hayley Divers is a '21 at Dartmouth College from Tampa, FL. She is majoring in linguistics with a minor in English. Besides writing for HerCampus, Hayley loves music (especially country). She plays acoustic guitar, piano, ukulele, and sings in the Dartmouth Decibelles a cappella group, where she serves as the group's Business Manager. Other interests include: Taylor Swift, Disney, and all things pink.