This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

Feeling down that Halloween this year is cancelled (like everything else this year)? If that’s the case, continue reading! 

If this article doesn’t prove that you can still celebrate the spooky season without a costume-themed party or your annual trick-or-treating (hey, I don’t judge), I’ll lock myself in the bathroom and say Bloody Mary three times! That should say something.

Whether you’re stuck social distancing in your hometown or quarantining with friends, you will find something out of this list that works for you!

Horror Movies with Friends!

What better way to get in the spooky mood than to watch movies that keep you up at night because you swear that you just saw something move in the shadows of your room? Although we may not be able to crawl into our friends arms when we get scared or share yummy snacks, you can still see the hilarious reactions of that one friend that gets scared every five seconds through video-calls. 

Since quarantine, many platforms have fortunately risen to stream videos (or in this case, movies) with your friends over a call. They really came through for y’all. 

Don’t know any platforms? I have conveniently provided a list with the best platforms for this activity. :)

TwoSeven, Kast, Netflix Party, Watch2Gether

Costume Photoshoot!

Sad because you had the perfect costume planned for this year and now you don’t have anywhere to wear it? No such thing! You can still showcase your awesome, fabulous costume. How? By having a photoshoot. This can be by yourself, with friends you’re quarantined with, or even with socially-distanced friends (yes, it is possible to have a photoshoot while socially distancing). 

Depending where you are, the potential available locations may differ. If you’re on the east coast or anywhere that actually has seasons (can you tell I’m from LA), then you’re lucky enough to have the perfect background of fall leaves. If you are in a city like me, it might be harder to find a suitable location, but there are still options! A few ideas are near a cemetery, parks, hiking trails, isolated streets, or at the beach (if that fits your theme)! The options are out there, you just need to make sure to social distance!

Drive-thru Haunted Houses

Are you sad like me that you won’t be able to reject going inside a haunted house, only to cave to your friends’ persuasion and end up happy you went? Just me? Okay.

Regardless, I know there are a bunch of you haunted houses fanatics out there. Thankfully for us, geniuses have come up with the solution to be able to still experience haunted houses while following social distancing guidelines. I encourage you to look up Halloween drive-thru events near you.

Although the experience will obviously be different, you will be able to continue with your haunted house traditions! I mean, when would we be able to experience a drive-thru haunted house again? Who knows, you might like it even more!

Send Candy Grams!

If you just want to do something to get into the spooky season, this idea is perfect for you! Plus, you get to make something for your loved ones so they can also get into the spooky mood!

I’m sure you all have heard of Valentine grams, but who said there can’t be Halloween grams? Instead of filling these grams with hearts and all things love, you’ll fill these grams with all things scary and spooky! 

This is the time for your arts and crafts skills to rise up. Get creative with it! Draw a pop-up ghost card that will for sure be a surprise to any receiver! Or maybe you want to decorate your card with the theme of your favorite Halloween movie (mine is the Night Before Christmas, though I’m not sure if it counts as a Halloween or Christmas movie). The possibilities are endless!

But of course we cannot forget about the treats! Send your loved-ones your favorite candy! I guess this idea is just doing the opposite of trick-or-treating. Instead of going out to get candy, they have the pleasure of getting the candy sent by you! I’m sure that’ll bring a smile to any person!

I hope you use some of these ideas to get into the spooky spirit!

Kimberly Mena

Dartmouth '23

Kimberly is a Latinx chica from Boyle Heights, California. She is part of Street Soul on her campus, so you can often find her practicing moves while walking. She loves to read and will enthusiastically take any suggestions. Kim has taken up sewing and yes it might make her sound like a grandma but surprisingly for her impatient self, she finds it calming.
Hayley Divers

Dartmouth '21

Hayley Divers is a '21 at Dartmouth College from Tampa, FL. She is majoring in linguistics with a minor in English. Besides writing for HerCampus, Hayley loves music (especially country). She plays acoustic guitar, piano, ukulele, and sings in the Dartmouth Decibelles a cappella group, where she serves as the group's Business Manager. Other interests include: Taylor Swift, Disney, and all things pink.