Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style > Fashion

Thriftable Fall Fashion to Spice Up Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

As the leaves start falling and the Halifax air is getting colder it’s finally time to start dressing for autumn. Bring on the layering, sweaters, boots! But sometimes, sustainability is put on the backburner when it comes to looking cute, and this doesn’t have to be the case. Oftentimes thrifting and second-hand shopping can lead to more unique finds, which can help you stand out. So, without further ado, here is some inspiration for your fall shopping list!

1. A Fun Faux Leather Jacket

From going out on the town to an everyday outfit, a leather jacket is a must. I was fortunate enough to find the cutest red jacket recently, and now I feel like my wardrobe wouldn’t be complete without it. 

2. Quirky Knit Sweaters

A fall classic. Knit sweaters will be sure to keep you warm as you walk to class. However, be wary of fast fashion sweaters – they are often cheap and tend to pill easily. At the thrift store, there is no shortage of cute and unique knit pieces made with high-quality materials. The oversized look is a personal favorite trend, and the men’s section is a treasure trove of cute options. 

3. Classy Scarves

The scarf sections of thrift stores are seriously underrated. They’re generally filled with cute grandma patterns just waiting to be revamped. You can also style a scarf in so many different ways. A favorite of mine is taking a thin scarf and tying it around your head bandana-style. 

4. Statement Jewelry

Jewelry is truly a make-or-break for any basic outfit. From a chunky statement necklace, to a classy wristwatch, the thrift store will definitely have something to add to any look. Pinterest is a great place to look for inspiration if you’re new to the accessory game. 

5. Dad-esque Button-Ups

In typical fall fashion, you’ll want to wear a shirt with a zip-up hoodie. But trust me when I say that upgrading that hoodie to a button-up elevates any look tenfold. Personally, I love to play with oversized looks and funky patterns, so I usually head to the men’s section for some dad-style hand-me-downs. 

6. A Purse to Jane Birkin-ify

Having a unique bag or purse is another make-or-break for your fall look. One trend I’ve been loving is people adding cute ribbons, charms, etc. to their bag (inspired by Jane Birkin). Personalizing your purse is a cute DIY and further elevates any outfit.

7. Lacy Camis

From layering underneath a flannel, to a cute going-out look, a lacy cami is super versatile. Make sure to check in the lingerie section – it’s where some real gems tend to hide. If you’re lucky, you may even spot a cute vintage one!

8. Corduroy Anything

Adding different textures is a great way to spice up your fall layering game. Corduroy is a material that is abundant at the thrift store, and looks cute too! Personally, I love corduroy pants, but I’ve seen vests and jackets styled incredibly as well.

Petra Jessome

Dalhousie '26

Second year Law, Justice and Society & Contemporary Studies student at King's / Dalhousie.