This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

Picture this. You are carrying four insanely heavy bags. You just got back from your Sunday grocery trip and as you make your way into your apartment to unpack everything and glance at your receipt. 

“$110.00” stares back at you. 

You stand there in utter disbelief, although surely you heard the cashier read it aloud as you were checking out the latest issue of Cosmo. You look down at your bags and realize that you don’t even have the ingredients for that stir-fry recipe you found on Pinterest. In a week, you’ll be throwing away wilted spinach that you swore you would use in a smoothie.

It is safe to say that the grocery store can be a daunting place, especially as a university student. Between the overpriced oat milk and the intimidating organic section, filling your cart with nutritious and delicious food on a tight budget poses a few challenges. Although I love a good bowl of Annie’s Mac n Cheese, having a delicious home cooked meal serves as a great comfort during those late-night study sessions. To help you out, I’ll dive into the importance of lists and how to build a balanced cart without breaking the bank. 

1. Understanding what is going into your cart

It’s easy to seek out processed foods that are cheap and convenient to make. I can appreciate whipping up a bowl of Mr. Noodles when you’re in a pinch, but it isn’t as fulfilling as a nutrient-packed homemade meal. Thankfully, there’s a simple way to break down exactly what you are throwing into your cart and why. Next time you head to the market, try following this basic outline that hits all the major food groups:

o 3-5 fruits of your choice

o 4-6 vegetables of your choice

o 2-4 protein sources (salmon, chickpeas, chicken, eggs, etc.)

o 2-4 grains (whole wheat bread, coconut, rice, oatmeal, etc.)

o 2-4 snacks (nuts, dried fruit, crackers, etc.)

o 2-4 dairy/dairy alternatives (milk, yogurt, cheese, butter, etc.)

o Extras if required (cooking oil, spices, condiments)

2. Consider meal prepping

Now that you have all your basic ingredients, it’s time to throw it all together. In my opinion, there’s nothing worse than coming home after a long day and having to cook a meal from scratch. Preparing your meals in advance saves you time and stress knowing that a delicious meal is waiting for you at home. Here is a sample of meal ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner that you can prep for the whole week:

o Breakfast: PB&J overnight oats (enjoy with fruit and toast)

o Lunch: Pasta salad with chickpea noodles and chopped vegetables 

o Dinner: Roasted chicken with garlic parmesan green beans and sweet potato mash

3. The power of lists

If meal prep is not your jam, that’s okay! Everyone has methods to their madness. That said, going into the grocery store with a concise list always eases some anxieties about buying the right items. Taking the time to jot down some wholesome ingredients that you like will keep you from buying too much, too little, or the wrong items altogether. 

This concludes our crash course in the art of grocery shopping as a university student. Now, have fun mixing things up in the kitchen and exploring all of the unique recipes that  tickle your fancy! 

Dana Sabadics

Dalhousie '23

Dana is a second-year nursing student attending Dalhousie University. She is passionate about all things wellness and how to build self-confidence. She has a background in fitness instructing and has ambitions to help university like herself students achieve their wellness goals - whether it be cooking delicious meals on a budget or at-home exercises you can do in your spare time while attending Zoom University. In her downtime, she enjoys traveling, cooking, art, and going on routine 'hot girl walks'.