Grid Paper Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Grid Paper Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Republic / RCA / MCA Nashville / Columbia / Canva

The Holiday Songs Your Playlist Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

There is nothing better than putting up decorations, baking, or wrapping gifts to some fun holiday music. Here are some tunes for you to play on repeat this season – from old classics to new songs by some of your favourite artists. 

1.“Last Christmas” by Wham!

This 1984 bop is the perfect upbeat, catchy tune that will definitely get you dancing. Not to mention these are the kind of lyrics that you just have to sing along to.

2. “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey

How could I not include this iconic song? It is one of the most famous and popular on this playlist and truly, it never gets old.

3. “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee

This song was recorded in 1958 and it is still a super fun, uplifting jam. This is the perfect song to play at a holiday party and is sure to get everyone dancing. 

4. “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” by Tyler, The Creator

The Grinch is one of my favourite Christmas movies and Tyler, The Creator’s fresh take on the song from the 2018 iteration of the movie is amazing. If you’re more of a hip-hop fan who gets bored of the same old holiday songs, this is for you. 

5. “What Christmas Means to Me” by Stevie Wonder

This is another classic – a song that my parents love to play every year. It always makes me think of decorating the tree, and its old-school feel never fails to invoke a nostalgic feeling. 

6. “Santa Tell Me” by Ariana Grande

I must confess, this is my personal favourite holiday song. Another bubblegum pop song, it never fails to make me feel happy and festive. Who wouldn’t love a holiday song by the queen, Ariana?

7. “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber

Mistletoe is a song that tends to get made fun of but I guarantee that we all know the lyrics because it is undeniably catchy. I, for one, find myself listening to it every year.

8. “O Christmas Tree” by Givēon

This cover of a classic was released last year and it is just beautiful. Givēon puts a slight R&B twist on the song originally written in 1824. It is the perfect tune to listen to while relaxing by the fire with your loved ones this season. 

9. “Underneath the Tree” by Kelly Clarkson

This 2013 hit never fails to get me into the holiday spirit and also has a wonderful lyrical message of the importance of time with loved ones during the holiday season.

10. “Please Come Home for Christmas” by Eagles

This is another song that was always played by my parents around Christmastime. This slow country ballad is heartwarming and comforting in a way that makes you want to slow dance under the mistletoe.

11. “It’s Beginning to Look Like Christmas” by Bing Crosby

Every year when holiday lights are put up around the city and the snow begins to fall, this song comes to mind. There have been many covers of this song over the years, but there is something timeless about Crosby’s original version. 

12. “Mary’s Boy Child/Oh My Lord” by Boney M.

This is another retro song that I was introduced to by my parents, but it will forever be in my own holiday playlist. Boney M.’s Euro-Caribbean sound makes this a unique and jolly tune.

Whether you are spending the holidays at home, away, with family or friends, I hope these songs bring a little magic into your holiday festivities. 

Sophie Gregg

Dalhousie '24

Sophie is a second-year Dalhousie University student majoring in law, justice and society. She is an avid reader and writer with a love of current events, media and fashion. In her free time, she can be found drinking iced lattes, shopping for books and clothes, and scrolling through TikTok.