This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

As someone who has mixed feelings about Autumn and cold weather, I often find it hard to get into a fall mindset. But if there’s one thing I know, it’s that I’ll need a good soundtrack to get me through. Here are some albums that I’ll be streaming this season:

1. 2 — Mac Demarco

The question isn’t whether a Mac Demarco album should be on this list; it is which one? I think that 2 is a perfect alternative fall album that feels like a sunny September/October day. “My Kind of Woman” and “The Stars Keep On Calling My Name” are two beautiful, lovey songs that I always have on repeat.

2. For Emma, Forever Ago — Bon Iver

A classic – “Skinny Love” is the perfect song to belt while getting over your “situationship” or lack thereof. “Flume” feels like driving in the rain in the best way possible. Bon Iver just sounds like fall – cozy yet melancholic energy.

3. Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming — M83

This is the album for when you want to feel like you’re in a coming of age movie while taking a night stroll or drive. “My Tears Are Becoming a Sea” creates a feeling like no other song. Just trust me.

4. Siamese Dream — The Smashing Pumpkins

I had to put one harder / more alt rock album in here for those days when you’re feeling like a dad in the 90s. “Mayonaise” and “Today” are classic cloudy day hits for me.

5. Louder than Bombs — The Smiths

The Smiths have been deemed as “male manipulator music” lately, but I think that everyone needs a little of this de facto genre in their fall playlist. “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” will be stuck in your head forever, but is a great song to walk home to. Just a warning, you might cry to “Asleep”.

6. The New Abnormal — The Strokes

This album will forever feel like the beginning of the school year to me. It gives me the energy of keeping up with all your readings and still making it to your 8am lectures. It’s definitely a sunny day, hot girl strut listen. Track 1, “The Adults Are Talking” will also 100% inspire you to have a mid-study dance party in your room.

7. Trick — Alex G

This one might be a little more out there for some, but Alex G is one of my favorite artists so I had to include him. His sound is really unique and I find myself having a hard time trying to describe it. “Mary” and “Sarah” are some of his more mainstream songs from this album that are great to get into listening. Personal favorites are “16 Mirrors” and “Kute”.

8. Carrie & Lowell — Sufjan Stevens

Sufjan Stevens makes some of the most beautiful music I’ve ever heard. Carrie & Lowell is no exception, and the indie folk album has so many great songs. “Fourth of July” and “Should Have Known Better” are among these. 

9. Lonerism — Tame Impala

Did you know Tame Impala is only one guy??? Music bro jokes aside, Tame’s oldest few albums are often underrated. Lonerism is a no-skip album in my opinion, and makes for great music to walk to class to. Hence, the aptly named “Music to Walk Home By”. 

10. Punisher — Phoebe Bridgers

Any Phoebe Bridgers or boygenius song screams fall/winter nights to me. It transports me back to early morning drives in the crisp weather. I think that Punisher definitely fits the bill; with songs like “Halloween” that are perfectly on theme, and “I Know the End” for your existential crisis around finals.

Petra Jessome

Dalhousie '26

Second year Law, Justice and Society & Contemporary Studies student at King's / Dalhousie.