This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

When I signed up for living on my own, I did not consider how much of a chore grocery shopping is. Buying groceries alone requires a ton of brain power, let alone having to then go home, unpack the groceries and then cook them. It is times like this that I wish I could eat at Luke’s daily with the never explained, endless disposable income that Lorelai Gilmore has. While I do love picking what I am going to eat for the week, sometimes it is hard to know what to buy – you want to buy what you like, but not too much because it will go to waste, and not too little because you don’t want to be taking more than one trip.

However, after a month of fending for myself, I think I have finally cracked the code.

The weekly grocery list that works for me usually consists of 3 fruits, 3 vegetables, 2 sources of protein, along with your staples: bread, eggs, and pop tarts. In addition to this, I make sure I have certain pantry items at home: pasta, rice, and quinoa, as these grains often make every meal complete. Each week I try to change up the produce I buy based on the time of year to give my body something new! With fruits and veggies constantly going in and out of season, it’s beneficial to know what produce is nutritionally dense based on the time of year.

Fall is the season of both sweet and savoury flavours, cozy drinks, and warm spices. It is the season of feel-good food – tons of carbs but also colourful root veggies and sweet fruits. With the leaves changing, candles burning, and Thanksgiving finally here, I thought I would share my grocery guide for Autumn, along with some simple but tasty fall recipes that have become October staples in my home.

Apples

What is fall without apple picking and apple pie! From gala to granny smith, apples are an autumn staple. According to Healthline, apples are a great source of fibre and polyphenols which offers many health benefits. Not only are they the perfect fall fruit but they also do indeed ‘keep the doctor away!’ Here is my favourite apple pie recipe, made by Martha Stewart for you to try this Thanksgiving.

Pears

Pears are in season from August to October and are packed with copper and potassium which are great for immunity and heart function according to Healthline. I strictly associate pears with autumn because of how good they taste with cinnamon! Be sure to try these cinnamon baked pears before pear season comes to an end!

Figs

Figs are a tricky one – some people love them, and some people hate them. I am a converted hater. With the right pairing, these calcium rich fruits will be your new favourite this fall. The recipe that did it for me were these figs dipped in chocolate and sea salt, courtesy of Sophia Rose. These little sweets are delicious and are the perfect palate cleanser for this year’s Thanksgiving meal, so make sure you save room for them!

Brussel Sprouts

Ah, Brussel sprouts, notorious for their bitter taste. As a kid I absolutely hated Brussel sprouts. I even had a gagging response to my mom even uttering the words. As I got older, I tried them once again and to my surprise they were more than just edible, they were delicious! High in Vitamin K and Vitamin C, Brussel sprouts can be the perfect addition to your meal this weekend. Be sure to try this recipe by Love & Lemons before you decide where you stand on Brussel sprouts.

Carrots

From purple to orange to deep red, carrots are the perfect fall vegetable not only because of their variety of colours but because of how much you can do with them! Steamed, sautéed or roasted, they are your perfect source of Vitamin A this autumn. If you are looking for a simple and tasty way to serve carrots this parmesan roasted carrots recipe by Café Delites is for you!

Sweet Potatoes

Finally, sweet potatoes are a MUST this season. According to Healthline, they are rich in fibre and pro-vitamin A making them the perfect holiday carb. Sweet potatoes are colourful and aromatic when baked in the oven, especially when tossed in brown sugar. Here is a roasted sweet potato recipe by Chelsea’s Messy Apron for you to try!

The fruits and vegetables in season this fall are delicious and packed with nutrients, so I encourage you to take a trip to your local farmers market this weekend and shop seasonally not only this Thanksgiving weekend, but every weekend!

Jasmine Rana

Dalhousie '24

Jasmine is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at Dalhousie University. Majoring in marketing, she is extremely interested in content creation and story telling, as interpersonal connection and relatability is extremely important in today’s world. When she isn’t working on creating content she can be found making brunch, planning her dream home via Pinterest, or making extremely specific Spotify playlists.