Wellness

Quick & Easy Recipes: Student Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

With the demanding workload in university, I think we can all agree that we would like to spend less time in the kitchen. Often, we are simply running late and need something quick to grab before running out the door. Most university students are on a budget and while we would like to eat healthy, it can be expensive. 

Don’t worry! I’ve got you covered with some quick and healthy recipes which will prove that you can reduce your time in the kitchen and still enjoy a delicious meal. The following recipes are filled with healthy and budget-friendly ingredients but most importantly, the short prep times will leave you with more time for schoolwork and studying. Enjoy!

BREAKFAST

Oatmeal 

Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1. ½ cup rolled oats

2. 1 tbsp almond milk

3. 1 tsp vanilla

4. 1 dash cinnamon

5. 2 tbsp maple syrup

6. ⅔ cup of water

Directions:

1. Combine oats, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup in a medium-size bowl and mix until completely blended.

2. In a saucepan, bring water to boil. Add the oat mixture and lower to a simmer.

3. Cook for about 5-7 mins on low heat, stirring regularly.

4. Pour into a bowl and top with fruit and honey if desired.

Avocado Toast

Cook time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

1. 2 avocados

2. Salt

3. Black pepper

4. 1 slice whole wheat bread

5. Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions:

1. Mash 2 Avocados in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2. Toast 1 slice of bread.

3. Using a fork, apply the mashed avocado to the bread.

4. Top with red pepper flakes if desired.

LUNCH

Pesto Chicken and Veggies

Cook time: 12 minutes

Ingredients:

1. 2 tbsp olive oil

2. 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced

3. Salt

4. Black pepper

5. 1 lb of green beans

6. 2 cups cherry tomato, halved

7. ½ cup basil pesto

Directions:

1. Heat olive oil in a large pan.

2.   Add chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper.

3. When the chicken is completely cooked, remove from the pan. Slice into strips and set aside.

4. In the same pan, add green beans and cook until tender-crisp.

5. Add cooked chicken, tomatoes and pesto to the pan. Stir until fully incorporated.

6. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.

Chicken Caesar Wraps

Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped

2. ½ cup cooked chicken, shredded or cubed

3. 2 tbsp caesar dressing

4. 1 slice of bacon, cooked and crumbled

5. 1 tbsp diced tomatoes

6. ½ tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese

7. 4 large croutons, roughly chopped

8. Black pepper

9. 1 12-inch flour tortilla

Directions:

1. In a medium size bowl, combine chicken, lettuce, caesar dressing, bacon, tomatoes, parmesan cheese and black pepper. Stir in the crumbled croutons.

2. Heat the flour tortilla in the microwave for 10 seconds.

3. Lay the tortilla on a flat surface, then add the salad mixture down the middle. Fold in two sides, then roll up like a burrito. Stick a large toothpick in each end of the wrap, then slice in half with a sharp knife.

DINNER

Fish Tacos

Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1. ¼ tsp cayenne pepper

2. ½ tsp salt

3. ½ tsp black pepper

5. Butter

6. 2 tilapia filets

7. Olive oil

3. 1 cup coleslaw mix

4. 1 tbsp mayonnaise

5. Cilantro

6. ½ cup lime juice

7. 2 tortillas

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, combine cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Use less cayenne if you are worried about it being too spicy.

2. Melt butter in a pan on low heat.

3. Lay the tilapia in a bowl and brush with olive oil. Spread the spice blend over top and gently press into the fish. 

4. Cook tilapia in the buttered pan for about 8-10 minutes until it flakes apart easily.

5. While the tilapia is cooking, toss together coleslaw mix, cilantro, lime juice and mayonnaise in a bowl.

6. Remove the tilapia from the pan and break into pieces for the tacos.

7. Fill the tortillas with the tilapia and top with the cilantro lime coleslaw.

My name is Ana Bodington and I am from the Cayman Islands. I am in my first year in the Commerce program at Dal. I am hoping to major in Marketing because I have really enjoyed it from my past internships and I have developed a passion for all things creative. I have completed three internships in the Cayman Islands in different fields and have really enjoyed them. I have done two in Marketing and one in Compliance. I attended boarding school in Canada for three years and I was awarded the scholar status. I am passionate about mentoring which I have gained community service by working with an organization in the Cayman Islands to mentor students. I enjoy doing art, working out, shopping, mentoring, and reading a good book.