Style > Fashion

Nepo Babies – Fashion Moguls for Gen Z

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

Kate Moss, Vanessa Paradis, Jude Law, Yolanda Hadid, Kris Jenner and Cindy Crawford. These names are well known around the globe – and these people are associated with talent and success. They are household names that hold so much power… so much so, that having the same last name is a gateway to fame and fortune.

Knowing these icons is common among millennials and Gen X. While Gen Z is also aware of these souls and their success, we are drawing more and more attention to those who possess the same last names: nepotism babies. A ‘nepotism baby’ is a term used to describe the child of a famous person who has been brought onto the hollywood scene thanks to their name. Lila Moss, Lily-Rose Depp, Iris Law, Kaia Gerber, Hailey Bieber, Kendall Jenner and Bella & Gigi Hadid are some of the current nepotism babies on the scene who have become the ultimate ‘It girls’ of our generation.

The majority of us grew up watching Gossip Girl and idolized the luxurious lifestyles of characters who are nepotism babies themselves. I coined the term “the gossip girl effect” to try to describe the obsession with these nepo babies. The “gossip girl effect” essentially suggests that many were somewhat conditioned by pop culture to crave having a glamorous lifestyle and the nepotism baby embodies that ideology.

It goes without saying, however, that social media platforms are critical in cultivating the nepotism baby image. Instagram certainly contributes to their aesthetics but TikTok is ultimately the puppet master behind their success. TikTok controls our generations’ trends and fashion cycle – and these girls absolutely own the platform. On their accounts you can find ‘OOTD’ checks, ‘Get ready with me’ videos and inside glimpses into important events. But when they post funny videos with their friends, family or even just making dinner, it adds to the level of relatability to which our generation clings so tightly. This more ‘humane’ side exposes us to the reality – that they too joke, laugh and do silly things. And interestingly enough, for several, it is this relatability that makes these nepotism babies that much more appealing.  

Another perspective is the simple fact that they are trendsetters with a twist. They obviously have name brand clothing, but their style is easy to duplicate in our fast fashion culture. There are endless videos of DIY tutorials or thrifted pieces that are almost direct duplicates of items that they wear. This also contributes to the relatability of any nepotism baby’s persona because it’s so easy and effortless to create the similar aesthetics. It is this combination of factors that lures their audience in and keeps them hooked.

But does all of this have a negative downfall?

While I absolutely love drawing inspiration from my personal nepo baby fashion moguls, I do recognize that there is an issue that arises with this trend – comparison. Comparison is one of the killer qualities in our generations’ general mental health. 

We are always comparing ourselves to those around us. 

Inevitably, comparison creates a dangerous cycle of constantly chasing your “dream lifestyle” instead of just being present in your own life and counting the blessings you may be taking for granted. It’s one thing to be ambitious but, there is a fine line between ambition and unhealthy comparison. We all live different lives with our own respective circumstances. No two lives are the exact same and I think we need to remember that. 

As much as we love our nepotism babies (and while getting inspiration from them can be harmless), above all, remember to honour your own inner beauty and cherish your amazing and divine uniqueness at the same time. 

Juliana Stevaux

Dalhousie '24

When Juliana isn't listening to music (preferably R&B) or watching reality tv, she can be found writing or keeping up with the latest fashion! Juliana has always been extremely passionate about writing and the fashion industry, hoping to work for a big time magazine in the near future. She is super excited to be working on the HC at Dal team this year!