This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

2023 was an eventful year for the film industry with WGA writers and SAG-AFTRA going on a strike. Many projects were postponed or put off until further notice. Now that the strike is over and the union and the alliance of motion picture along with the television producers have come to an agreement, I have finally compiled a list of my top 10 most anticipated films of 2024. When I say a lot of films were postponed to 2024, I mean a lot. It was definitely not an easy task for me to narrow it down to 10. That said, take this list as a handful of films I will be watching on opening day with a large bucket of popcorn and a sizable diet coke in my hand. 

10. Mean Girls (Dir. Samantha Jayne and Arturo Perez Jr.)

Release Date: January 12, 2024

I screamed when I heard about this project and I screamed even louder when I found out Renèe Rapp will be reprising her Role as Regina in the film adaptation of the Tony nominated Broadway Musical, Mean Girls. Music, plastics, drama and Renèe Rapp…what’s not to love? 

9. Gladiator 2 (Dir. Ridley Scott)

Release Date: November 22, 2024

Unfortunately, there isn’t much information available about the specifics of this project. What we do know, however, is that the cast includes Paul Mescal, Pedro Pascal and Denzel Washington. The film will follow Lucius, the son of Maximus and Lucilla, after Maximus’ death. This one might not be for everyone but let’s just say I will make the trip to the cinema just to see the talented cast in action. 

8.  Inside out 2 (Dir. Kelsey Mann)

Release Date: June 14, 2024

Before giving any more detail, I need to admit that I love Inside Out. Do I think we needed a sequel? No. Will I be paying for a ticket to watch it as soon as it hits the theatres? Yes. I am really excited about Anxiety played by Maya Hawke and I am looking forward to crying over simple (or should I say complex) human emotions.

7. Challengers (Dir. Luca Guadagnino)

Release Date: April 26, 2024

Challengers is a film about a Grand Slam Champion starring Zendaya, Josh O’Connor and Mike Faist which was set to release during the US open. Fear not, it is finally going to hit the big screens in 2024 and I am always looking forward to watching any project with an appearance from Zendaya. 

6. MaXXXine (Dir. Ti West)

Release Date: TBA (2024)

Expected to be released at some point in 2024, I am very excited to watch the final film in the series and I especially love Mia Goth. 

5. Wicked Part 1 (Dir. Jon. M. Chu)

Release Date: November 27, 2024

Wicked Part 1 is another stage to screen adaptation of a Broadway musical that has caught my attention. Apart from my obvious theatre kid biases, the star studded cast should be enough of a sell to watch this movie. 

4. Drive Away Dolls (Dir. Ethan Coen)

Release Date: February 23, 2024

Two girls embark on a road trip to Tallahassee in search of a fresh start but end up involved with a group of criminals. As you can imagine, I am really hoping to see this one at a theatre in Halifax. If not, I will patiently wait until I can watch it on a streaming platform because I would not want to miss some of the most anticipated performances by actors like Pedro Pascal, Margaret Qalley, Matt Damon and Geraldine Vishwanathan. 

3. Nosferatu (Dir. Robert Eggers)

Release Date: December 2024

The remake of the 1922 silent film, Nosferatu, which has been in the works for what feels like forever, is one that I have long awaited. This could either be a hit or a very tragic flop. Either way, you will be sure to find me in the cinema, where I’ll have to see for myself.

2.  Dune: Part 2 (Dir. Denis Vileneuve)

Release Date: March 15, 2024

I loved Dune and I am very excited for Dune Part 2, not only because of a talented ensemble but also because I am actually curious to see how the story moves forward. I have never read the book and honestly do not think I will until after the movie series is complete…I enjoy being oblivious to the plot.

1. Mickey 17 (Dir. Bong Joon-Ho)

Release Date: March 29, 2024

I am an incredibly huge fan of Bong Joon-Ho, and Mickey 17 has been on my list since the project was announced. I am even more excited to see Robert Pattinson’s performance given that he is so much more than ‘Edward Cullen’ with versatile performances in films like, The Batman and The Boy and the Heron.

Khyati Chawla

Dalhousie '25

Khyati is a film studies student at Dalhousie University planning to work in the film industry after graduation. In her free time you will find her watching movies in the movie theatre, making extremely specific playlists, reading romance novels, or obsessively watching sitcoms.