Rockefeller ice rink and Christmas tree in New York
Elizabeth Tait
Life > Experiences

Home in Halifax for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

From time to time, Halifax can feel small when your only commute is to campus and back home. However, if you do get the chance to explore the city, you will find that there is an endless supply of things to do! This holiday season is the perfect opportunity to take advantage of the hidden gems that Halifax has to offer. If this is your first winter here, you are in for a treat! The city is a beautiful place in the winter and there are plenty of activities to get you in the holiday spirit. I invite you to let me be your tour guide and fill you in on all the magical places to see in Halifax during the holidays!

An absolute must-do is skating the Halifax Oval with your friends! Located in the Halifax Commons, it opens just in time for the holiday break and is always bustling with happy skaters. Whether you are a clumsy skater or can glide across the ice like a pro, there is nothing more enjoyable than hitting the rink with the people you love. It’s also no problem if you don’t own a pair of skates because you can rent them at the rink. Bundle up, grab a warm beverage and see who can skate farthest without falling!

The boardwalk is always a hot spot in the summer, but have you ever seen it in the winter? Evergreen Bright features a series of beautiful light displays across the boardwalk and downtown Halifax. One of the many that you will see is The Tunnel of Hope, a 150-foot tunnel of lights! There is nothing better than an adventure to look at beautiful lights and get you in the holiday spirit. This event is held in honour of the Mental Health Foundation of Nova Scotia – a great cause to support!

The holidays are meant to be spent with those who light up your life, so why not plan a fun get together at The Board Room Game Café? Here, you can grab your favorite beverage or snack and play your favorite board/card game. I absolutely adore this place and I can’t wait to visit with friends during the winter break. The café will also be hosting a holiday themed trivia night on December 15th! Coffee and board games – the two best things on the planet.

It’s impossible to skip out on sledding with Citadel Hill at our fingertips! Find the craziest crazy carpet and wait for the perfect snowfall. It is free to sled here and you will make some of the best memories doing so (of course, doing so safely, and choosing a side of the hill that doesn’t face traffic). You could also bring some of your favourite snacks and make a fun day of it!

The Glow Gardens will brighten up your holidays – literally! Head on over to the Halifax Exhibition Center during the month of December and let your eyes soak up a million twinkling lights. This event is much more than just a light show; it has a winter market, performances, food, drinks and so much more. It sounds like a fairytale all wrapped up in the form of a beautiful destination. You can count on seeing me there over the holidays!

Bring some holiday cheer to your Instagram feed by heading out with friends to do a fun photoshoot! Wear your favourite warm coat and winter hat and find a cute location with a snowy background. Some places to go could be Point Pleasant Park, the waterfront, Halifax Public Gardens, a cozy coffee shop, or even just the city streets with the lights behind you. There are so many ways to have fun for free and taking photos is one of them!

I hope you all have the best adventures around Halifax this winter season! Happy Holidays everyone!

Chloe Hannan

Dalhousie '24

Hi there! I am a second-year Bachelor of Journalism student at the University of King's College, Halifax. I have always carried a passion for writing, and I have joined Her Campus as a way to practice my skills! Happy reading :)