This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

Struggling to make your student house feel more festive this season? Do not stress! I’ve got you covered…

Christmas Tree

When it comes to student housing, a full-sized Christmas tree is not always convenient – so a mini tree is the perfect alternative. Another classic student housing decor move is turning something in your house into a Christmas tree. This could mean dressing up a wall, big plant, traffic cone, or other random objects around the house. My roommates and I have a huge fake cactus which we decorate with lights and bulbs. We call it the ‘Christmas cactus’.

String Lights

In my opinion, string lights are a must for student housing all year round. But during the holidays, these lights really transform your space into a cozy winter retreat. LED lights are a great alternative for overbearing overhead lighting. You can change most lights to a nice yellow which really warms the space up, or a cool blue and even a festive red.

Wreath

A fun craft you can do by yourself, with roommates or friends this holiday season is wreath-making. My mom and I used to go looking on the forest floor for fallen branches so you can customize your wreath however you want. If wandering around the forest in the cold is not your thing, create a wreath out of random things in your house! It will become a sort of cursed Christmas collage of fun memories you had this year. The dollar store is always an affordable option for wreath materials. With some fake greenery and a little creativity, you can continue to use and update your custom wreath every year. 

Snowflake Garlands 

Making paper snowflakes is another fun craft to do this holiday season. Cut out snowflakes and attach them to a string to make a garland. This is also fun to do with coloured wrapping paper or festive construction paper to hang around the house.

Gingerbread House & Cookies

Making gingerbread houses is a great way to have some classic Christmas fun. You don’t even need an oven if you buy the premade grocery store kits. If you do have access to an oven, make your own gingerbread or sugar cookies. This is not only a nostalgic Christmas snack, but also a fun night in with your roommates and friends to decorate cookies. 

Fluffy Blankets

Blankets are an easy way to warm your space up during colder seasons. Festive blankets are always fun but so are simpler classic designs. Pairing them with a candle or two makes the space even more cozy, which brings me to my next item…

Candles 

If you are allowed to light candles where you live, go out and get some fun festive scents to make your room smell like a Christmas wonderland. If candles are not allowed, then incense is a really nice ( and cheap) alternative. Essential oil diffusers are a great smoke-free option as well!  

Garland Greenery 

Garlands are one of my favourite decorations for the Christmas season. There is so much you can do with a garland. Dress it up or down, over the railing or above the window. We know green vines have achieved major popularity but the greenery garland is a seasonal version of the favourite. 

Advent Calenders 

Advent calendars are a fun way to get into the Christmas spirit away from home. They bring an extra piece of Christmas cheer into the room, plus you get to eat chocolate when you wake up! If you have roommates, this is a super fun tradition to start at your own place. 

Most importantly, have fun with decorating! It does not have to be perfect, it just has to make you smile. It can be tough being away from family during the holidays so be kind to yourself and don’t forget to call the people you love.

Emalyn Armstrong

Dalhousie '25

Hey! My name is Emalyn and I am from Squamish, British Columbia. I am in second year but a first year journalism student at University of Kings College. I am so excited to be joining HerCampus as a part time writer! When I’m not doing schoolwork you can find me: rock climbing, reading, or going for a walk.