Books That Changed the Way I Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

I’ve always been a lover of non-fiction books. There have been many times in my life that I truly felt enlightened by certain authors or books. Some of the things I’ve read have helped me through difficult periods of my life and have made me the person I am today. 

Here are some of my recommendations for books that will linger in your mind long after you finish reading them:

Radical Intimacy by Sophie K Rosa

Sophie K Rosa explores romance, friendships, culture, community and liberation with great care and research. This book frames intimacy and happiness in a way I have never seen before. Rosa emphasizes that the intimate is the political, and delves into how we can create a kinder society. She connects her ideas about intimacy to feminism in a powerful but palatable fashion. 

The Lonely City: Adventures in the Art of Being Alone by Olivia Laing

I read this book during my first year of university, and I would recommend it to anyone who has ever experienced loneliness. Olivia Laing is a brilliant writer, and this book is a love letter to the beauty of solitude. This book is not only about loneliness itself, but also the role it plays in art. It is moving and emotional, while also being informative and intelligent. 

The Monk who Sold his Ferrari by Robin Sharma

In a world that values success over happiness, it can be hard to find satisfaction in our lives. Many people are stuck waiting for happiness to come when they achieve their next goal or reach their next milestone, but find it hard to live in the moment. Robin Sharma’s wisdom is timeless, and this book is a reminder to enjoy life as it is. 

Unlikeable Female Characters by Anna Bogutskaya

This book is a testament to the importance of media, and how our culture absorbs the ideas presented to us in books and movies. Bogutskaya uses well known characters to explore real-life stereotypes of women. Her writing is passionate, entertaining, and thoughtful. After reading this book, I saw fiction in a different light.

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir

Of course I had to include this classic book. It is well known for good reason – it is timeless. This book is a powerful analysis of gender, and has influenced generations of women. It paved the way for modern feminist philosophers, and the writing is very engaging.

Emily Conohan

Dalhousie '26

first year journalism student at university of kings college:)