freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Valentine’s Day in Halifax

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

When it comes to ideas for a date, it can be difficult to find activities that you and your partner haven’t already done a million times. Lucky for us Dal and King’s students, we live in the great city of Halifax where there are endless things to do and places to see. Here are some Halifax-based date ideas for the big 14th that will make Cupid proud.

Take a Walk Around the Waterfront

The best spot for stunning views of the Atlantic, Halifax’s Waterfront area is great for an evening stroll with your loved one. Eat at one of the restaurants in the area, check out some of the shops, or sit in one of the hammocks near the water and look up at the stars.

Ice Skating at the Emera Oval

This is a perfect date idea for couples who love to be active together! You can rent skates or bring your own and take a glide around the Oval, located at the Halifax Commons. Whether you’re a champion on the ice or just a beginner, you and your partner will have a blast skating on this NHL-sized circular rink.

Dinner Theatre at the Neptune Theatre

For those who like a little entertainment with their meal, dinner at the Neptune Theatre might be a perfect date idea for you and your other half. The Neptune has a wide variety of music, dancing, and theatrical performances sure to wow any crowd. On top of that, they have an amazing menu full of options. You’ll definitely be left wanting an encore.

Board Room Game Café

All you competitive couples listen up! The Board Room Game Cafe is the perfect place to get your game on and enjoy some tasty food and beverages. They have over 500 different games in their vault, so you’ll never be “board” (see what I did there). On top of that, they have a wide selection of coffee, tea, sandwiches and snacks, as well as a bar menu for those of legal age.

Fifth Floor of the Halifax Central Library

This date idea is any book-lover’s dream. The fifth floor of the Halifax Central Library is home to a wide range of literature, from fantasy to science fiction. As a bonus, you get an incredible view of the city, as well as some hot chocolate and cider during these winter months. Go before sunset, and escape into another world alongside your significant other by reading your favourite novels together. How romantic!

The Middle Spoon

For those with a sweet tooth, The Little Spoon is the perfect spot for a sugar-fueled Valentine’s Day. From chocolate lava cake to apple crisp and create-your-own sundaes, this place has something for every dessert fiend out there. And who could forget their extensive cocktail menu, with standout drinks such as Black Forest and Destiny’s Grandchild. With a selection like this, you two are bound to have a good time—and possibly a sugar crash!

Sledding on Citadel Hill

If the weather calls for snow close to Valentine’s Day (which it most-likely will, considering this is the Maritimes), take your partner for a zoom down the biggest hill in Halifax on a sled built for two. This is a perfect date for those who like a little adventure. When the snow is just the right consistency, you’re sure to go flying at speeds that would make Lightning McQueen jealous. Make sure to bring snow pants and a courageous attitude—you’ll need it!

Kaitlyn MacNeill

Dalhousie '24

My name is Kaitlyn MacNeill, and I'm a second-year journalism student at the University of King's College in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I've been newly appointed as a member of the editing team for Her Campus Dalhousie/King's. I have a passion for movies, fashion, music and photography.