This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

Every gluten-free person knows the struggle of choosing where to eat. It’s time to eat somewhere with friends, and the pressure falls on you to pick a nice place to eat that also offers gluten-free options for you. The worst part is that awkward moment when your friends want to eat at a specific restaurant, and you can’t go because they don’t have a single option for you. Here is a list of some great restaurants, bars, and cafés with gluten-free options to make picking a restaurant easier next time!

Fine Dining:

The Bicycle Thief – 1475 Lower Water Street Halifax, NS

The Bicycle Thief is expensive but seriously amazing. While the menu doesn’t list gluten-free items specifically, they have gluten-free options for almost all menu items, especially for their pasta dishes. The servers were so sweet and accommodating when I told them I was eating gluten-free. I love the almond flour-encrusted scallops, and expect a lot of seafood dishes here. This is also the only restaurant I have been to that offered me complimentary gluten-free bread. This is an excellent option for a fancier occasion.

Ristorante Amano – 1477 Lower Water Street, Halifax, NS.

Ristorante Amano is not as expensive as the Bicycle Thief, but still great for a fancy experience. The food is heavily Italian-inspired, mostly pasta. The menu doesn’t list which items are gluten-free, but they can offer gluten-free alternatives to some pasta menu items. The servers were friendly when I told them I was eating gluten-free.

Bars:

Obladee – A Wine Bar – 1600 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS.

Obladee lists which items are gluten-free directly on the menu and were super sweet when I told the waitress I was eating gluten-free, and that it wasn’t just a preference. I had the cheese puffs, which were surprisingly sweet and paired so well with my rosé, and a chocolate board with some of the most delicious dark chocolate I’ve ever had. The whole restaurant is aesthetically beautiful with its warm light and classy vibe.

Freeman’s Little New York  – 6092 Quinpool Road, Halifax, NS.

Freeman’s list items that are gluten-free or have gluten-free options directly on the menu and were friendly when I specified I was eating gluten-free. I had a garlic finger made with a gluten-free crust. It’s a casual bar, better suited for if you’re having a relaxed night out or planning to drink a lot. It is much less of a vibe aesthetically, but great for some greasy gluten-free food.

The Stubborn Goat Gastropub – 1579 Grafton Street, Halifax, NS.

While not specifically listed on the menu as gluten-free, the Stubborn Goat does have some nice options. This is also a more casual bar. I had some fries with garlic aioli, but they also have good nachos and salads.

Cafés:

Coburg Social – 6085 Coburg Road, Halifax, NS

I am a little biased towards Coburg Social since I love their chai lattés and it is close to Studley campus. School House Gluten Free makes their gluten-free goods, so you can get muffins or cookies. I enjoy the supernova muffins, but they do sell out of them quickly if you go too late in the day.

Tart & Soul – 6389 Coburg Road, Halifax, NS

Tart & Soul makes their own gluten-free goods at the café. You can get gluten-free granola bars, chocolate-coconut macaroons, and sometimes peanut butter bites. The café is super cute, but can get busy since it is close to Studley campus and King’s.

Trident Booksellers and Café – 1256 Hollis Street, Halifax, NS

I will admit that one should be cautious about cross-contamination eating here depending on how severe your allergy or intolerance is. I noticed that their gluten-free desserts are not wrapped separately and are placed in the display case directly next to non-gluten-free treats. That being said, the baked goods they have are delicious and made by the café. Aesthetically speaking, the café is cute inside, with tons of books you can read while enjoying your treats.

Café Taiyaki 52 – 2009 Brunswick Street, Halifax, NS

I seriously love this café. They replace their regular batter with a gluten-free banana-based batter that is so tasty, and it is listed directly on the menu. Taiyaki is a cute Japanese treat, like a pastry shaped like a fish, and you can choose the filling. It is a great chance to try something new, maybe with some red bean or matcha filling. Keep in mind that cooking the gluten-free batter does take longer, so the last time I ate here, I was still waiting for my food while my friend had already finished eating.

Lunch and Dinner Spots:

Buta Ramen – 5190 Morris Street, Halifax, NS

Buta Ramen has two gluten-free options listed directly on the menu. I have only had the nagasaki champon, which is ramen with a lot of seafood, specifically shrimp, muscles, and squid, but also some pork belly and vegetables. They also have a dolsot bibimbap with a gluten-free option. The servers were okay when I specified I was eating gluten-free. The restaurant is super cute, and I especially love the textured wooden wall.

Man Bean – 1284 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS

I love pho! This is one of my favourite restaurants for pho. While the menu doesn’t list gluten-free items, the pho they serve is naturally gluten-free since it is made with rice noodles. The server is always lovely when I mention I am eating gluten-free. It’s my favourite place to stop for a quick bite to eat.

Potikki’s – 5246 Blowers Street, Halifax, NS

Potikki’s describes itself as a Canadian twist on India’s favourite foods. They list gluten-free options directly on their menu. I had the butter chicken bowl, which was delicious. They offer a lot of rice or fried dishes that are gluten-free. It is a great spot to stop to get a quick bite to eat while downtown.

Family-Owned Gluten-Free Delivery Company:

Schoolhouse Gluten-Free Gourmet, 7014 Hwy #3, Mahone Bay, NS

A local family in Halifax makes gluten-free goods and stocks them at local cafés like Coburg Social and Uncommon Grounds, as well as small grocery stores like Noggins. While avoiding gluten for five years, one of the things I missed the most was donuts. Luckily, School House Gluten Free is happy to provide gluten-free donuts, so long as you order them directly from them, which you can do at their online shop, or by calling (902)-273-2482. At Noggins, you can find their gluten-free sugar cookies, brownie bites, pumpkin pies, and muffins. Check them out on Instagram to see what goodies you can buy.

Jessica Duffney

Dalhousie '24

I am a Dalhousie student studying political science and going into my third year. I have joined Her Campus to explore my interests beyond politics, and write about Halifax from a university student perspective – particularly about the cafés, the markets, and the amazing small businesses.