This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Walking into any department store can be pretty intimidating for just about anyone. The sheer size of the stores are scary enough, but even more-so for plus size women. With most brands lacking size-inclusivity, plus size women are shoved into a little section of a huge retail department- we’re looking at you, Forever 21- and are given little to choose from. Plus Size sections, while meant to be inclusive, really just alienate plus size women.

I, myself wear plus sizes in some brands and I get so frustrated when I find something I love in the non-plus size section of stores, but am not able to find something even remotely close in the plus size section. The human body is so diverse, and having a section for just plus size clothing really discourages me from shopping in stores altogether. Why not include a wide variety of sizes in all clothes?

Most brands barely go past XL, but with brands like Missguided and the new Savage x Fenty lingerie lines having a largely diverse size range for women, other brands really need to step their p*ssy up. Include everyone in fashion, don’t alienate women to a different, less stocked, poorly marked section of stores just because they have more junk in the trunk. With fashion being one of the main ways for people to express themselves, brands should take advantage of size-inclusivity and expand their range of sizes. Expanding sizes is a smart way to gain more customers, as plus size women will want to shop at a store where they feel included, not simply given a token “plus size section.”

Self-love advocate and intersectional feminist with a passion for music, photography, and writing (she/her)