This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Are you someone who needs coffee in the morning? By 2080, all coffee production will seize to exist if the current climate crisis isn’t controlled. Coffee relies very heavily on the climate it’s being grown in and due to hotter weather, droughts, and deforestation half of the world’s coffee will be extinct and by 2080 it’ll all be gone.

Climate change

Climate change is raising temperatures all over the world and coffee is a bean that grows best at 64 to 70 degrees. In places like Columbia, Hawaii and all over South America temperatures are exceeding that, making it difficult for coffee to survive. 

Deforestation

Deforestation has been a widely known problem for a while now. But now coffee fields are being targeted and trees are being cut down, meaning we are losing hundreds of beans. Having a forest around coffee helps because it helps protect the soil, store water, and reduce the temperature. We are destroying the main things needed to make coffee grow.  

Drought

Due to climate change, temperatures are heating up in the regions that coffee grows in. Rainfall is slowing down in the hot places around the world which are messing with the coffee fields because they aren’t getting the water they need to grow and are therefore lacking nutrients from the soil to produce successful plants. 

There are approximately 1.4 billion people in the world that drink coffee daily. We need to take a stand and help the environment if you want to keep having coffee in the morning. 

Her Campus CWU Writer Current student at Central Washington University Major: Dietetics I like to hike, paddleboard, and to be outside.