alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It’s Okay Not Knowing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

During this interesting time in our life, we bright, young, individuals have a lot to think about. Society puts this huge block of cement on our shoulders and asks us “what are we doing with our lives once we hit the age 18?” When you’re 18, you just graduated high school and don’t even know if college is right for you yet! You don’t know hat a major is, because it’s hard enough to focus on anything besides what you’re plans are for Friday night. In this weird “young adult” phase between the ages of 18-23, some of us don’t know what we are doing with our lives and that is totally okay.

If college isn’t for you, it’s okay. College isn’t for everybody, and there are so many people to tell you that not going to college was one of the best decisions of their lives because they finally got to be themselves and find something they love. Now, I’m not telling you to drop out of school or anything, but if you realize that college isn’t your scene, then you are one step closer to who you want to be.

The pressure of family, friends, and even teachers sometimes can make you feel overwhelmed with life decisions you haven’t made yet. “What is your intended major? Where do you want to work? When will you graduate?” We are happy to report that in reality, no one really ever knows, we have an idea of what we want or don’t want and just hope for the best. 

Basically, don’t feel pressured into feeling like you need to have your entire life figured out before you can even leagally buy a mimosa. It’s alright to not know, it’s actually better! Cherish these moments right now, enjoy your life, be excited for the opportunities that await and love you who are. It’ll all come together, take a deep breath, you are one person, with a bright future!

Her Campus CWU Social Media Director / Treasurer / Writer  Senior at Central Washington University  Major: Public Relations Minor: Event Managment Zodiac: Cancer ♋︎