This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you probably saw or read something about the bombshell interview with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. We learned some shocking items about the royal family, including a member of “The Firm” stating their concerns about the color of Meghan and Harry’s son Archie. Some have speculated that Archie was not deemed as “His Royal Highness” due to his skin, which is just horrifying, to say the least.

So, what member of the royal family expressed their concerns about this child’s skin color? Well, the first thing we need to understand is that the royal family has a history of making racist statements. Princess Michael of Kent, for example, decided to name her two black sheep “Serena” and “Venus” after, you guessed it, the famous tennis players. And Queen Elizabeth II has yet to condemn England’s past involving the slave trade and the colonization of numerous countries. With this in mind, we recently learned from Oprah herself that the Queen and Prince Phillip did not make this racist comment towards Archie. After learning this, there are really only two people who would make this comment; Prince William or Prince Charles. In the interview, Meghan states that revealing the name of the person who made this comment would be quite damaging to their reputation. And if you haven’t read about Prince Charles in the last six years, his reputation has already gone through the wringer and back. This brings us to Prince William. For a while the two princes were not on speaking terms, that is until December 2020 when they reportedly connected over the holidays. According to Prince Harry, the comment about Archie’s skin color was made in 2019, when he and his brother were not speaking. So this leads me to believe that Prince William made the comment about Archie, which then caused the non-communication between the two brothers. But, who really knows? This is all based on speculation, so it could have been any member of the royal family that made this horrific comment. Either way, it’s saddening, but not surprising, to hear that racist values are still very much alive in the royal family. Like this article? Be sure to check out our other features this week! HCXO

Self-love advocate and intersectional feminist with a passion for music, photography, and writing (she/her)