What You’ll Figure By Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

You’ll figure out a lot about yourself and whom you want to be during your first couple of years at CWU. Between declaring your major and making time to get your summer bod, there’s a lot you’ll pick up a long the way. In my experience, there’s a few things that came easy and a few I had to learn the hard way. Whether you are a first year or about to graduate, it’s never too soon or too late for a little helpful advice. Here are a few things I wish someone would have told me along the way!

How to Strategically Procrastinate

Lets face it ladies, were all busy and sometimes you just don’t have the time to start a homework assignment until the night before its due. We get it, and we’ve been all there. But make sure you don’t procrastinate on an 8 page research paper with a 5 source minimum. Its’ okay to procrastinate but after 4 years of college you learn when and what you can hold off on until the last minute, and what you need to just buck up and work on right away. Balance is key!

Pass On The Parking Pass

Parking passes are the university’s biggest and cruelest joke. You spend your life savings on a pass, and still there is nowhere to park. You drive around the parking lot for 20 minutes and you’re late to class. Ditch the parking pass and get in some easy cardio before class. If it’s the dead of Winter and below 30 degrees car pool with a friend that does have a parking pass, you’ll save money and it’s environmentally friendly!

When To Go To The Gym 

Okay, lets be honest; The Rec Center is always crowded, but once you are get a set schedule you’ll learn when your personal favorite machines are more readily available. If you’re a cardio person, do not plan an early morning workout, because every machine is going to be taken. After a couple years of trial and error you learn what time of the day the gym suits your schedule!

You Will Grow Out of Driving Home Every Weekend

When you were a freshmen you spent every day on the phone with mom and dad, and took every possible oppurtunity to drive over the pass to go home and get a home cooked meal (and some free laundry). After a couple of years, you’ve moved into your own apartment or house. You don’t feel the need to visit home base as much, in fact, when was the last time you talked to them?

The Library is Your Friend

Contrary to freshman belief; the library is actually more useful than just for printing your English 101 papers. There are resources, tutoring centers, and the best study corners in all of Ellensburg. As horrible it is trecking to the Library or as intimidating as the tutoring center may seem, its so helpful! You’re already paying for it so you mind as well get your money’s worth. Also they have a little coffee stand! (YASS) As a senior you spend your whole life in the library and its actually kind of fun.

Utulize Time With Your Professors 

I cant stress the importance of this one enough. When you first started college, professors were just scary adults that you tried to avoid eye contact with. Over the years you’ll find that going and meeting with them occasionally even if its just to say “hi” and check in with them means alot. They will take you so much more seriously as a student, and they will also be more willing to hear you out when you get into a pinch.

Always Sit In Front of Your Classes

It’s not where the cool kids sit, but you know when the teacher announces the scores for a test and there are three people who got A’s in the class, well I’m willing to bet high stakes that they are front row chillin every day! Sitting in the front forces you to stay off your phone, and pay closer attention. You will be more inclined to engage in conversation and participate which will positively reflect on your grade, and make a lasting impression on your prof. as what kind of student you are.

There Is Literally No Point To Do Your Hair During Winter Quarter

As you grow into a senior you will progress in stages… your first winter you will try to do your hair, and it will fail miserably. The second winter you’ll try a natural look, perhaps a beach wave  Third year, you’ll try a cute hat and maybe trying to bring the head bands back. By the last year its full on bun status every day of the Winter, and you will never look back. Get that hair out of your face and avoid those nasty wind tangles! Spring is coming, be patient and stock up on hair ties. 

Odds Are You Aren’t Going to Marry The One Night Stand You Can’t Get Over

The bad boy/girl that is dodging all of your texts an phone calls during the week days but is the first one to hit you up after you post a bomb ass selfie… yeah, no! They are fun on the weekends when you see them out at the bars and pretend like they wont ignore you when they are sober the next day, but when it comes to real life, drop ’em like its hot! You want the one that will go on home work dates with you and bring you coffee before class, not the one who only notices you when your hair is curled and your red lipstick can stop traffic. 

You Will Miss Your Tiny College Town Once You Leave

There’s no denying it, you will always rep your home town, maybe even a little extra when you first come to college. But when you find yourself in the last couple of quarters you will realize how special Ellensburg really is, whether it’s the food, the little corks around this charming town, or the people you met here. They will always hold a special place in your heart, becuase they helped you became who you are going to be for the rest of your life. So too all of you underclassmen reading this out there, enjoy it while it lasts because it goes by faster than you think. And when you get to the end of the rope and you aren’t quite ready for goodbye, there’s always grad school.

President at Her Campus CWU Senior, Public Relations Major at Central Washington University!