starbucks star days rewards 2022?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
starbucks star days rewards 2022?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Connor Surdi
Career > Work

What to Keep in Mind when Ordering at a Coffee Shop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

So fun fact: I am a Starbucks Partner (which is a fancy way of saying I’m a Barista). I’ve had this job for under 6 months now and have previously worked as a barista/bartender in Montana, There are a couple of observations I’ve made along the way. I love my job and wouldn’t trade it for the world, however, there are a few instances that seem to reoccur that make it so much more challenging.

Before I get started on some things to keep in mind while picking up your beverage of choice, I will say one thing: if you have never worked in the service industry, be that food service, retail, or any other position adjacent, you have no room to correct me or anyone in this position. We are all trying our best to make a living and someone telling us that we are overreacting just further adds to our existing frustration.

With that little disclaimer out of the way, let’s get on with the list.

1. Know what you want BEFORE you order

This may seem small, but this saves both the customer and the barista so much time and so much patience. I should make it clear that I and most baristas have no problem recommending drinks if someone asks, but changing your mind and taking forever to order is inconvenient both for the people behind you and for the barista who probably has a million other things to do.

A really helpful thing to do is to consider in the line or before you order what you may be interested in if you can’t fully make up your mind. Asking what the barista recommends in terms of coffee, fruity, sweet, or bitter drinks can be a fun way to try new things until you find your go-to.

2. Don’t Try to Tell us how to do our Jobs

The most frustrating thing in the middle of a huge rush is when someone stands over you trying to make sure everything is perfect. For example, the other day I made a drink for this man and when he took it from me, he was convinced I made his cappuccino wrong. I explained that I made it to company standards and he explained that it was “so simple. It’s just espresso and a lot of foam.” I patiently took it back and remade it the same way I had before, and the second time he took it, he whispered, “there we go” and left the store.

In most cases, baristas actually do know what they’re doing (Shocker, I know)! This is our job. We were trained and coached on how to make drinks for a living, and in most cases, we are all trying our hardest to put out products that are well made.

All I ask is that you put a little faith in your barista and if your drink actually is wrong or not what you asked for, tell us! We will remake it.

3. Consider Your Surroundings

I cannot count how many times someone who ordered not even 2 minutes prior has come up to me asking if their drink is done. I understand that people may be in a rush or some similar situation, but the average hot latte takes about 45 seconds average to make. Add in the fact that there are probably a few drinks preceding the order, you may be waiting for a minute to five minutes. Not to mention if the store is already packed, your drink may take some time to get done. We are not magicians. If you want a quality drink, you may need to be patient.

Sometimes stuff happens and a ticket gets pushed back or forgotten about. If you’ve been waiting for 10+ minutes and still have no drink, ask one of us about it and we will try our best to complete it for you. I know that at Starbucks, there are such things as recovery cards that we offer if a customer has been waiting for far too long or gets especially mad. Regardless, you will get your drink as soon as possible, I assure you.

We are Not NPCs

In closing, please above all, don’t be an a**. We are trying our best to be happy and produce the best products that we can in an already chaotic environment, we do not need someone treating us like a Non-Playable Character in GTA. Take a breath and try not to use the excuse that you haven’t had your coffee yet to treat us poorly.

Oh, and one more thing: adding cold foam to hot drinks should be outlawed. Don’t be that person.

Hi there! My name is Anna and this is my first year on the CWU Her Campus team! I am extremely interested in all things social media, theater/broadway, and criminal law! I'm from the beautiful Tri-Cities, Washington, and have 3 dogs back at home (I know, I'm a dog mom which automatically makes me THAT cool). I've always had a passion for all things theater and entertainment. I also dance here at Central for a dance company, so you might just catch me in a few productions! I'm so excited to take you along with me on my journey through college as I attempt to navigate this big ol' scary world! So excited to see what Her Campus has to offer, and I hope you enjoy my work!