Culture > News

What Now; A Followup to the Kavanaugh Confirmation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

So, here we stand. A little over a week since Kavanuagh, a man who has been accused of sexual assault, was confirmed. A man who has been accused of sexual assault was given even more power. A man who has been accused of sexual assault now has a say in what women can do with their bodies. Yeah, it’s as messed up as it sounds. I’m at a loss for words. I’m pissed off. I’m really scared for my reproductive rights as a woman. I don’t understand how it might be even slightly okay for a man to decide what a woman can do with HER BODY. Well, that’s the patriarchy for you. And I don’t mean to sound sound so cynical, but I’m just pissed off and scared. Every woman should be at this point. A survivor’s words have no validity if she’s accusing a man in power. It was proven in the 90s with Anita Hill, and it’s been proven once again.

Even if it’s not a man in power who’s being accused, a survivor’s words have little validity. But the thing is, women RARELY falsely accuse men of sexual assault. In an article on the myths about false rape accusations by Stanford University, it was found that only 2% of all rape and sexual assault charges are determined to be false. So, why didn’t we believe Dr. Blasey Ford? Because a bunch of old white men were in charge of deciding whether her claims were valid enough to determine whether another old white man should be in power. Of course they’re going to be biased.

I’m ashamed of my country’s decision. I’ve been ashamed of my country’s decisions for the past two years, but that’s a whole different story. I urge EVERYONE to go out and vote this November. Make your voice known, don’t be made silent by the people who won’t even be affected by current decisions made by our government. OUR generation should determine what will happen to OUR future because, like our parents have been saying for years, we are the future. So why don’t we use our voices to determine our future?

Self-love advocate and intersectional feminist with a passion for music, photography, and writing (she/her)