What to know about this years 2018 Polyfest!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

If you’ve never heard of CWU’s Poly Central Program here is a breakdown of what you’re missing out on and the amazing performance our CWU Poly-Central Club put on for schools around Washington and our very own CWU campus. Our poly club strives to share their culture and their cultural dances with those who do not know a lot about their heritage and what it means to be Polynesian. With open arms, they love to tell others about their community and the love for their culture they have!

Yes, Polyfest started with a free a BBQ loaded with tons of short ribs, rice, and chicken, but polyfest is not just meant for the food and dancing. It’s a day to bring everyone together, Polynesian or not, and share the culture and diversity they bring around. But trust me when I say, they love to share their love for food!

Following the BBQ our Polycentral club put on a bad ass festival featuring traditional dances and music form the Polynesian islands of Tonga, Tahiti, New Zealand, and Samoa. Our very own Polynesian wildcats performed dances that they had been working on for the whole year to perform in a max capacity theatre, to the point the theater officials were kicking people out due to not enough seating and fire safety hazards being broken from people standing in the aisle ways and people sitting on one another laps just to see this annual event take place!  

In the performance both men and women performed many traditional dances from their heritage but also mixed it up with some comedy and even doing their traditional dances to a few Beyoncé and Justin Bieber songs getting the crowd to laugh and interact. During the dance transitions when the performers were getting ready the MC’s had games for the crowd to interact in along with pulling people form the crowd to teach them certain dances like the hula and the haka.

Polyfest was and is a fun filled family event for all ages and a fun way to learn about other cultures. Not only did they kill the performance they raised a lot of money for their club that they can use for future events! Along with their dances they also honored their graduating seniors who they are sad to see go due to the fact they have been here since Poly Central first started! Make sure to get your tickets for this year’s Poly Central on May 29, 2018! See ya there!

Follow our Poly club on IG @cwupolycentral