Measuring

Vegan Sweets for The College Soul

Vegan: a person who does not eat or use animal products. Growing up my mom cooked without using any dairy or eggs because of my brother’s allergy. So now I am here to share with you some of my favorite vegan recipes!

Pancakes

Vegan Pancakes: (taken from the Food Network and tweaked to be vegan)

Pancakes! I love pancakes, but I never order them at restaurants because they just never taste good, they always taste like boxed pancake mix which is such a shame. So this is my go-to pancake recipe that is amazing! My boyfriend can’t get enough of these pancakes.

1. 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  2. 3 tablespoons sugar
  3. 1 tablespoon baking powder
  4. ¼ teaspoon
  5. 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  6. ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  7. 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoon water mixed in a separate bowl, let sit for 5 min. (this is the egg replacement) then add to the rest of the ingredients to mix all together. -I buy flaxseed meal at Safeway or Fred Meyer or any local grocery store.
  8. 3 tablespoons vegan butter (I use Earth Balance Vegan butter sticks)
  9. Mix all ingredients together and then use just like any other pancake batter! -I put my pan on just above medium

Banana Bread

Vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread: From my grandma’s cookbook!

Everyone loves this recipe! I think I made it 4 times fall quarter!!! My boyfriend even asked for it for his birthday instead of an actual cake!

1. 3 cups of flour
  2. 2 cups of sugar
  3. 1 teaspoon salt
  4. 1 teaspoon baking soda 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  5. ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  6. 3 teaspoons vanilla
  7. 1 cup oil
  8. 2 cups grated zucchini
  9. 1-2 cups of dark chocolate chips (or however much you want depending on how chocolatey you want it to be)
  10. 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 9 tablespoons water mixed in a separate bowl, let sit for 5 min. (this is the egg substitute)
  11. Mix all ingredients together
  12. Bake in bread pans or in muffin tins @ 325 degrees, don’t forget to grease the pans or use muffin papers. (I usually bake in muffin tins so that they are easy finger food)- for the bread pans, bake for about 1 hour. -for the muffin tins, I usually put them in for 20-30min and check on them using a toothpick, then add more time in increments of 1-2 minutes until done.

Vegan chocolate chip banana bread: Also from my grandma’s cookbook!

After people tried my vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread, I had lots of requests for banana bread, so here is the recipe for that! Equally as awesome 😊

1. 1 cup sugar
  2. 2 cups flour
  3. 1 teaspoon baking soda
  4. ½ cup vegan butter
  5. 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
  6. 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water mixed in a separate bowl, let it for 5 min. (this is the egg substitute)
  7. Mix all ingredients together
  8. Bake in bread pans or muffin tins @ 325 degrees. Grease the pans or use muffin papers in the muffin trays. Bake in the bread pan for about 1hour 15 min, or for about 15-20min in the muffin tins.
  9. Let cool for 10min before taking out of the tins and move to the cooling rack

Blueberries

Vegan lemon blueberry scones, gluten-free & dairy-free: from stephaniesain.com, found on Pinterest!

I love drinking tea and decided it was time to make scones, but I was recently off Whole30 and wanted gluten-free scones. This is the recipe I tried, and I absolutely loved it!

1. 2 ½ cups almond flour
  2. ¼ cup coconut flour
  3. 1 teaspoon baking powder
  4. ½ teaspoon baking soda
  5. ¼ teaspoon sea salt (I used regular table salt)
  6. 1 zest of lemon
  7. ¼ cup unrefined coconut oil
  8. 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  9. 1 cup fresh blueberries
  10. 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water mixed in a separate bowl, let sit for 5 min. (this is the egg substitute)
  11. Mix all ingredients together
  12. Divide the dough into two equal parts and mold into two rounds about ¾ inches thick and place on the baking sheet and chill. Chill in the freezer for 15min. (I put mine in the refrigerator for about 1 hour instead)
  13. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
  14. Then cut into triangle shapes and separate on the baking sheet so each triangle has space to bake.
  15. Bake @ 350 degrees for 20-22minutes
  16. Let cool for about 10min before enjoying!
  17. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week 😊

Toast

Vegan Homemade Nutella: from spreadwithpennies.com, found on Pinterest

Nutella is my weakness, but after doing a report on the negative effects of Palm Oil and finding out it is in just about everything pre-made at the grocery store including Nutella, I decided to try and make my own. I found lots of different recipes on Pinterest. This is the one I tried and loved!

1. 1 cup roasted & peeled hazelnuts
  2. Blend in the food processor until you get the creamy peanut butter texture
  3. Then add the rest of ingredients
  4. 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
  5. 8 oz melted dark chocolate chips (melt in the microwave at 70% power for about 1 minute or until soft and gooey)
  6. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  7. Continue to blend in the food processor until creamy and smooth
  8. Enjoy! This homemade Nutella goes great on the vegan blueberry lemon scones 😊
  9. Store in a glass jar at room temperature

These are just some of my go-to recipes that are super easy to make! I hope this inspires you to try cooking vegan because it tastes yummy and is good for your health!

Xoxo HCCW