Career

Valuable Lessons I Learned When I Left Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Living in a small town has been a blessing. Every beautiful smile you encounter is a familiar face, and almost everyone is family. There is nothing more incredible than seeing your community show up for each other. I never thought I would actually leave my home, even though I would always say as a little girl that there is a whole world out there in need of what all of us have to offer. I couldn’t fathom the idea of actually leaving home and all of the good old days behind. Still, here I am, making every day count gratefully. Although it hasn’t been easy, it has been worth it. Here are some things I learned when starting a new chapter.

A Home Can Be More than One Place

woman in white long-sleeve shirt looking out a rainy window
Photo by Leonardo Pavão from Pexels
When you leave your home town for a couple of months, or permanently, it will not be easy. It isn’t easy to keep in touch with your loved ones when we grow up. We all have different responsibilities, and that’s okay. That doesn’t mean your family and friends don’t love you. You are loved more than you’ll ever know, The people who genuinely love you will stick by you and be proud of you. Leaving my hometown has shown me that home is not just a place but within you, and all the realm of possibilities.

Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone

woman friends standing in a sunflower field
Photo by Courtney Cook from Unsplash
I have always had big dreams, but that’s all it felt like as all I ever knew is my small town. It wasn’t until I left home that my dreams felt more than just dreams, but actual plans and goals that I am ready to pursue and achieve because I got exposed to new courses, places, people, cultures, and ideas. I have met so many wise people who have helped me gain new perspectives. This world is filled with beautiful people you have yet to meet who will also change your life sometimes; all it takes is a simple greeting everyone you encounter can teach you something new. Meeting new people not only showed me new things but helped me realize that my one decision to start a new chapter away from everything I knew would help me blossom and gain some faith in myself. I couldn’t be any more thankful.

How to Use a Dishwasher

Yes, I learned how to use a dishwasher. I grew up in a household where we did not have a dishwasher, and quite frankly, I know that even if we did own a dishwasher, my family would probably use it for storage. Even to this day, I’m still adjusting.

New Habits

cat lying in bed Bed
Photo by Gaelle Marcel from Unsplash
I’ve never really been an organized person because I was always stressed running around trying to find my things the day I needed them. My parents quite often helped me because I was still so busy and irresponsible. Now I am learning how to manage time better and keep my stuff in safe spaces. I make sure my room is always clean when I have bad days. I give myself days to recover, and my room is back to being clean and organized, which makes me feel better.

Balancing Time & Money

Setting priorities straight and making time for what truly matters will only help you be better. It’s important to remember to have a self-care day; managing things on your own can get heavy. I still don’t know what I’m doing most of the time, but one thing for sure is I make sure I distress by doing simple things like watching the sunsets and remembering that every day is a new learning day. Saving 10% percent of your income truly helps you save and budget yourself, as living alone is not cheap at all. Making a grocery list is also helpful as you focus on the list to avoid adding random things and staying within budget!

Always Learning

pink flatlay workspace
Photo by Emma Matthews Digital Content Production from Unsplash

Living alone can feel scary before it gets better, as learning new habits and managing is not a piece of cake. It’s important to know you are not alone; even if it feels like you are. Most people can relate to the difficulties of managing work, paying bills, and most importantly, school. Many of us seem like we have it together, but most of the time we take it day by day. Please don’t beat yourself up because, in reality, who has their life completely figured out?  

Believe in Yourself

Girl studying surrounded by plants
Photo by Alina Vilchenko from Pexels
Starting a new chapter away from home is still hard nowadays, but it’s been a unique, memorable experience. Opening new doors outside my comfort zone and meeting people I consider family made me realize that no matter how stuck you feel or whatever path you are on, nothing is permanent. You have the power to change your life. It doesn’t always mean leaving home but going after your dreams. One decision can change your life, and if anyone can do it, that’s you. You never know what’s out there if you don’t go after it. Taking action is always better than standing in fear. My advice to you is to believe in yourself. The world is in need of what you have to offer.

Never Forget Where You Came From

My 20s have been so eye-opening, I never thought the days I would plan for when I was younger are the days I am now. Chasing after my goals, trying to finish school, and meeting the sweetest people on earth are all a part of my journey. There is never a day I don’t think of home and the people in it. I’m so grateful of my roots and community. made I don’t know where life will take me, but one thing is for sure, there is a whole world out there and without the love and support from my family and friends, I wouldn’t be here. I learned that I am capable of creating the life I want even if it doesn’t always feel that way.

Plants Make Everything Better

house plants on dresser
Photo by Prudence Earl from Unsplash
My house did not feel like a home until I started organizing my space and one of the things that helped me with the process of starting over was plants! I started with a small pothos and now my room is filled with plants I don’t really know the names of, but when you take care of things it shows. My plants are currently thriving despite the cold days!

It Will Ultimately Be Okay

Deciding to leave home is hard, but at the end of the day, everything you go through will help you create the life you want and show you that life has so much more in store for you. Starting a new chapter never feels easy, but you learn more and more from yourself when you give yourself the chance to make change.

CWU 23'