Unleash the Rory Gilmore in You this Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Hey everyone! Let me just start off saying that I hope everyone has a great Winter break and Happy Holidays. Her Campus CWU wanted you to know that this is your time to relax and relieve all of that stress from Fall quarter. Go ahead and curl up with a cup or coffee and a good book. But, before you go looking for that perfect book, read some of the options and their summaries below. These books come from a variety of genres so there is a perfect book out there for everyone this Winter break!

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

If you loved the Divergent series, The Hunger Games series, The Giver or any book with a little dystopian thrill? If so, you will love this book. Aldous Huxley does a great job introducing this weird and sterile futuristic society. Just like Divergent, there are classes and groups of people that are pigeonholed from the petri dish to when they finally pass. People in this society are conditioned to act and live a certain way because of the government’s hold on what the society looks like. A few people would rather not stick to the status quo and start to live the way they want to live. When reading this book it will leave you with a jaw dropping edge of your seat feeling. This winter break this book will make you want to know what happens next and what the characters come to realize about their society.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Wuthering Heights takes place in the 1800. It is full of mystery, love, and revenge. Wuthering heights follows the life of Heathcliff, a mysterious gypsy- like person. Heathcliff rises in his adopted family and then is reduced as to the status of a servant. Heathcliff then runs away when the young women he loves decides to marry another man. He returns later with a higher status, an education, and money in set to seek revenge on the families that he believed to have ruined his life. If you are in the mood for some ghosts, some dark secrets, and revenge this book if the choice for you this winter break.

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir is one of the earliest attempts to confront human history from a feminist perspective. Today, many regard this meticulously researched masterwork as not only a pillar of feminist thought but of twentieth- century philosophy in general. Many of the topics touched upon it this book is how men have oppressed women, how some men defy women their humanity, and how society makes men superior. If you want to read a book that might get you a little riled up this winter break about a hot topic, this is the choice for you.

Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins

Rachel Watson rides the train everyday for work. During her time on the train she likes to people watch and pretend that she has the other peoples great lives, while trying forget her own awful past. One day Rachel comes across this seeming happy couple. Over the days, she keeps watching them on the train wishing that could be her. The couple, Scott and Megan end up not being the so called perfect couple they seemed to be. One day, Rachel witnesses something shocking. What Rachel saw has her convinced Megan is missing or dead, but she cannot remember if she actually saw Megan because of her severe drinking problem. Unable to trust her own memory she fears that they will never find Megan and that Rachel may be next. If your are in search of a mysterious thriller than this is you first class ticket to a great winter break read.

Adulting: How to Become a Grown- Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps by Kelly Williams Brown

Adult is not a noun anymore, it is a verb. We are so focused on growing up that when we get there it is a scary existence known as adulting. Just because you necessarily do not feel like an adult yet, does not bee you cannot act like one, starting with this book to guide you. Kelly Williams Brown takes the big scary world and teaches you steps to making the world seem more manageable and approachable. The topics go from what to check for when renting a place, to how to avoid hooking up with someone from your office, to how to bleach works. This book is perfect for college students because this is the time when most of us are on our own for the first time. This book will be a great addition to your winter break so you are able to come back and kick butt at this whole adulting thing.

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Miles “Pudge” Halter is a new student at Culver Creek Prep School in Alabama. Pudge was unpopular at his old school so he was very nervous to start the year off. He immediately becomes friends with his roommate Chip “the Colonel” Martin and introduced by his group of friends Takuni Hikohito, Lara Buterskaya, and the beautiful, mysterious Alaska Young. Read this book to find out all of their adventures and see Pudge’s love grow for Alaska. If you love a good rom- com this book is for you.

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

The Power of Now is a book intended to be a guide for day- to- day living, while stressing the importance of living in the moment. As college students we are very goal oriented and always look to the future. This book helps alleviate the stressor in your life and teaches you to forget those past and future thoughts in order to get the most out of life. This book is perfect for anyone who feels that they need help with the balance of life and wants to learn how to live in the present.

Nice is Just a Place in France by The Betches

This is a great book to relinquish in if you are planning on ruling the world by stepping on everyone and everything to get there. Actually no, this book should not be taken seriously. If you are in the mood for some satirical comedic relief this is the book for you. This book talks about the women who love themselves. It is a self- help book in the sense that this is how you deal with your problems when you have no problems and will do anything to be the best betches! When reading this book, do not take anything they say seriously, it is meant to be a joke. And YES, it is okay to be the nice girl.   

Go ahead and unleash Rory Gilmore in you this Winter break by reading one of these great books. Feel free to tell us some of your favorite books too! We here at HC CWU, hope you all have a great Winter break and Happy Holidays!

HCXO

Her Campus CWU President and Writer Previous Her Campus CWU Events Director Current student at Central Washington University  Major: Public Relations Minor: Advertising, Sports Business, and Interdisplinary Honors I love writing about anything and everything! Politics, fashion, mental health, and many others! I hope to be able to utilize my skills/ endeavors from Her Campus, along with other clubs, organizations, and experience in order to pursue a career in PR.