This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Well, Tr*mp is at it again. As if the alleged abuse of power and foreign interference wasn’t enough, President Tr*mp ordered a drone missile strike to terminate General Soleimani at the Baghdad airport on January 3rd. His reasoning? Apparently, Soleimani was plotting “imminent and sinister attacks on American diplomats and military personnel”. Now, to those who are old enough, this may sound familiar. In 2003, Bush PREEMPTIVELY invaded Iraq for a similar reason, along with the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The preemptive nature of Tr*mp’s attack on Iran may lead some to question what the real motivation was. 

In my opinion, which happens to be the opinion of many, Tr*mp wanted the attack on Iran to distract from his impeachment. Unfortunately, that didn’t work out for him. Tr*mp was quoted stating, “When I did that drone strike, I was under the impression that it would knock impeachment out of the news for at least a month”. But as of January 9th, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has yet to release articles of impeachment but is said to do so by the end of the week (January 11th). Tr*mp ADMITTED to hoping that Iran attacks would distract from his own demise, but it may have done the opposite. 

So, what does this mean for Americans? As of right now, not a whole lot. The Iranian government sent ballistic missiles to bases housing U.S. troops, and Tr*mp has decided to not retaliate as of January 9th. The U.S. has decided to withdraw from JCPOA and it looks like Iran has started to break away from the agreement, as well. For Americans, this withdrawal does not mean much. But for Iranian citizens and countries near the Persian Gulf, this is seen as a dangerous move by the Iranian government. The state of nuclear weapons in Iran is very unclear, but now that they have started to withdraw from JCPOA, it could bring the possibility of war.

Now there is even more question as to Trump’s level of military power. Should a man whose mental stability is unclear be able to determine the death of foreign and U.S. citizens? In my opinion, absolutely not. 

HCXO

Self-love advocate and intersectional feminist with a passion for music, photography, and writing (she/her)