This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Tom petty was a rock icon who lead his band, The Heartbreakers, to fame. The Heartbreakers started in Gainesville, FL in 1976 with Tom as their front man. They wrote and performed many classic rock hits and sold out stadiums. I can personally say that “Wildflowers” was my favorite song and played a huge role in my life. The quote “You belong among the wildflowers” was my Bio for twitter and Instagram for two years. Sadly, hearts broke when Tom Petty passed away October 2, 2017 and I think I speak for all of his fans when I say he was an American icon who will be dearly missed.

Many fans, artists and celebrities gathered on social media in tribute to Tom Petty’s iconic work have influenced covers of their favorite songs in remembrance. Other music legends like Stevie Knicks, John Mayer and Joey Kramer took a moment to remember their friend by formal statements and Twitter. Tom Petty and Miley Cyrus recently sang a cover of “Wildflowers” on the Jimmy Kimmel show. Jason Alden even opened SNL with his song “I Won’t Back Down”. Many sports team even too the opportunity to pay tribute to the rock legend, teams including the LSU Tiger and the Florida State Gators chanted while stadiums played some of Tom’s greatest hits. It’s inspiring to see the music world come together and pay tribute to a man who really was only about the music.

In an interview with Billboard magazine, Petty described himself as “not really involved in the business side of music.” Tom was a genuine free spirit, a self proclaimed hippy, who was just in the industry to share his passion and love of music. A refreshing nod to the 70s era of love and prosperity in music as opposed to what is charting the billboards today. 

Tom Petty touched hearts all around the world with not only his beautiful lyrics but his beautiful soul. You will be dearly missed Tom, thank you for the amazing impact you’ve made on this world through your music. Hopefully you found the place where you feel free.

President at Her Campus CWU Senior, Public Relations Major at Central Washington University!