Spider-Man in No Way Home Film
Spider-Man in No Way Home Film
Sony Pictures / Marvel Studios

Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield are DEFINITELY in Spider-Man: No Way Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

If you’re a Marvel fan, you probably know about the new Spider-Man movie coming out at the end of this year. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is incorporating the multiverse into their work and it is plainly obvious in the new Spider-Man: No Way Home trailer. Villains from Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield’s Spider-Man movies are showing up in this movie, so it makes one wonder: Are Tobey and Andrew going to be in this movie? I believe they are, and here is why.

1. It’s a money maker

We all know Marvel has made a TON of money in the past ten years. Studios, like Marvel, rely on ticket sales at the box office to determine success. Sony is also involved, which is why Marvel has the right to use the villains from the past Spider-Man movies. At this point, fans are adamant about Tobey and Andrew being in the movie. What happens when they finally see the movie and tell their friends how disappointed they are that they weren’t in the movie? Marvel and Sony aren’t going to risk that.

Plus, nostalgia has a tight grip on Millennials and Gen Z. These generations will fish out lots of cash to watch nostalgic movies and shows. Even if Marvel fans don’t love the MCU movies, they may put that aside to see their beloved Tobey and Andrew. The villains aren’t nearly enough to satisfy these hungry comic book fans.

2. 3×3 Battle

Towards the end of the most recent No Way Home trailer, Tom Holland’s Spider-Man engages in a battle against the villains from the multiverse. Dr. Strange, although a vital part of this movie, doesn’t look to be helping Tom and is occupied with other matters. Tom is severely outnumbered in this fight, which lends fans to think that Tobey and Andrew are actually going to help him. A 3×3 battle is a trope that comes up in movies like this, and unless there is a compelling reason for Tom to be fighting them alone to show his character development or something in that realm, it is feasible to assume Tobey and Andrew will show up.

3. the lizard

Marvel fans are notorious for finding easter eggs and tiny details in promotional material and theorizing on that. During the same battle at the end of the No Way Home trailer, the Lizard or Dr. Curtis Connors is one of the villains featured. Fans have noted that there is a scene where the Lizard is being punched by what looks like just air. Tom’s Spider-Man is way up above him, and there aren’t any known invisible heroes to be in this movie. So who is punching the Lizard?

Marvel is also known for editing clips and scenes from trailers to take out details that may spoil surprises in the movies. Fans theorize that in this particular scene, Andrew’s Spider-Man is delivering the jaw-cracking punch, but Marvel Studios editors CGI’d him out as to not let people know he is in the movie. 

4. Mj and gwen stacy parallel

SPOILERS FOR THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2

At the end of the Amazing Spider-Man 2 with Andrew Garfield, his love interest Gwen Stacy falls down a clock tower. Andrew tries to save her by shooting a web to stick to her and pull her up, but he is too late, and she hits her body on the ground and dies. This is a very important part of this Spider-Man’s character development as he promised her father before he died that he wouldn’t put her in harm’s way. (This is also a case of fridging, but that can be explained in a different article.)

In the trailer, Tom Holland’s love interest MJ falls off of a building. The camera shot is incredibly similar to the camera shot when Gwen was falling. Tom’s Spider-Man jumps down to save her, but we don’t see what happens next. Fans are theorizing that Andrew’s Spider-Man will save MJ to make up for the fact that he wasn’t able to save Gwen and give him some type of redemption. I think this theory is feasible, and also heartbreaking, but I would love to see it happen. Just don’t kill MJ!

There are other theories fans have found, but the ones I listed here are some of the most compelling. But as a Marvel fan, I know not to get my heart set on any theory. (I’m looking at you, WandaVision.) I am going to enjoy the movie either way. You can see Spider-Man: No Way Home in theatres on December 17th.

Sydney Erickson is an English and Public Relations Major. She is an enrolled Cowlitz Indian. She loves books, movies, spirituality, and Marvel. Sydney hopes to become an author and actress one day. This is her second year writing for Her Campus.