This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I don’t think there is anything better in this world than a good night’s sleep. Waking up feeling refreshed in the morning makes your daunting daily tasks much easier to complete. However, no matter what some people try they can never seem to get as good of rest as they would like. Because of that, I have compiled a small list of things that can help the coffee zombies of the day turn into the morning birds they wish to be!

Exercise

A high-intensity workout right before bed isn’t recommended but light workouts such as stretches, and yoga can help aid in body relaxation. Working out within four hours before bedtime can help to ease your body into a deeper sleep once it’s time to get some actual shuteye. Deep sleep is important as is helps you to feel more rejuvenated and restored in the morning.

Baths

Night showers can be a way to relax your body and help you fall asleep. Like exercise, some studies recommend taking a shower a couple of hours before bed to have a regulated body temperature when it’s time to sleep. The rise in body temperature, then the drop of body temperature a couple of hours later can help your body move into a deep sleep during the night.

Limit Food and Drink

Eating a big meal right before bed puts your digestive system into overdrive. This means your body is working overtime while you’re trying to sleep and can disrupt your body’s ability to go into a deep and restorative sleep. Too much of any drink before bed can potentially lead to you waking up multiple times in the night to use the restroom, so restricting fluids before bed can help you stay asleep through the entire night.

Don’t Use Electronics

I know this one seems hard, but lit screens such as your phone and TV are considered stimulants. They disturb your body’s instinct to go to bed and can lead to tossing and turning at night. Reading a book or doing something calming instead of engaging in other distracting stimulants can lead to a better night’s rest.

Getting a good night’s sleep is important for many reasons. Sleep can heal and repair your body and is important for several brain functions. Not getting a good night’s sleep can lead to heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and a multitude of other things. So now that I have given you a list of things that can aid in a good night’s sleep, I expect to see fewer coffee zombies and more rejuvenated and refreshed morning birds!

My name is Rayven Crawford! I am a Junior at CWU studying to be an English teacher. Some of my hobbies include going out to eat (If you haven't tried The Porch here in Ellensburg you have to), spending time with friends and most importantly writing. Reading my content will offer you articles on Health, Life and everything in between!