This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year….. SPOOKY SEASON aka Halloween time! Here are some horror and Halloween movies I think you should be watching this season from the classics like “The Shining” (1980) to “Halloweentown” (1998), there is something for everyone! These movies can be watched snuggling up to your boo (ghost joke) to screaming with your ghoul friends or you can have your own night in with Halloween candy and popcorn (let’s be fair, we all need a solo movie night from time to time)!

When you’re feeling a bit more nostalgic or want lighter spooky season movie

• Halloweentown (1998)
    • A Disney classic, nostalgia pact halloween movie that makes you feel right at home in Halloweentown. Marnie Piper takes us on a ride as she uncovers who she really is, a witch! In the midst of discovering herself she saves the whole town… with a little help from her brother and sister of course!
  • Hocus Pocus (1993)
    • 300 years have passed since the Sanderson sisters were put to death for witchcraft in Salem. Max, a town new kid and his little sister, awaken the Sanderson sisters giving them a second chance at immortal life. The sisters have one night to achieve a chance to live forever, all while terrorizing trick or treaters. How will Max, his girlfriend and his sister stop them?
  • Coraline (2009)
    • Coraline moves into an apartment complex called the Pink Palace with her mom and dad. While exploring her new home she finds a tiny hidden door, barely big enough to crawl through, this door takes her to what she thinks is a perfect world, where her parents are caring and always there. Her other mother makes her an offer that is too good to be true, she can stay with her and have everything she has ever wanted, for the small price of sewing buttons into her eyes.

The classics

• Halloween (1978) 
    • Halloween night 1963, six-year-old Michael Myers murders his sister. After getting sent to an institution for 15 years, he escaped on Oct. 30, 1978. He then makes his way to his hometown. Michael has a new target, Laurie Strode, a young high schooler. He sets out for her on Oct. 31, destroying anyone that gets in his path. Will Laurie survive Halloween night? (Movie series alert! If you love the first one there are 10 more to watch!)
  • Friday the 13th (1980)
    • Camp Crystal Lake is about to reopen for the summer! The counselors head over early to prepare for the campers. These counselors however have no idea that a little boy, Jason drowned in the lake because previous counselors were not paying attention. Jason’s back and looking for revenge on his birthday, Friday the 13th…
  • The shining (1980)
    • A family heads to an isolated hotel in the middle of winter in the Colorado mountains, where the husband can begin writing his book. With what seems to be an endless winter and nowhere to escape too, the family becomes entrapped in the hotel and all it offers. To no surprise… the hotel is obviously haunted and with the family we discover the secrets of the hotel and room 237.

Jeepers Creepers

• Insidious (2012)
    • Failing true crime writer Ellison moves his family into a house where a family was murdered in hopes of new inspiration. As he is searching the house he finds a box of homemade movies… as he begins watching he learns that the families in the movies have been found murdered. Maybe these movies are just the inspiration he needs!
  • IT (1990 and 2017)
    • In 1989 a group of misfit kids became unlikely friends to get to the bottom of why other kids are going missing. These kids begin to call themselves “The Losers Club” as they begin to crack the case of Pennywise, the not-so-friendly clown.
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)
    • An amazing classic ghost story kind of vibe, but also has that classic chef’s kiss feel to it. Based on a children’s book series by Alvin Schwartz. This movie takes you into the story as you watch each character’s side unravel but also come together to form the real story.

Psychological Movies

• Orphan (2009)
    • John and Kate, a loving couple mourning the loss of their infant, decide to adopt a little girl named Esther. As Esther becomes accustomed to her family and home she begins to open up, maybe even a little too much. A must watch movie to discover who Esther really is and where she came from.
  • Shutter Island (2010)
    • When a prisoner is reported missing on Shutter island, off the coast of Boston, federal marshal Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule begin their investigation at the Ashecliffe Hospital. As the mysteries unravel we begin to learn about the harsh and sinister treatments at the hospital. As the investigators push for records, the doctors push him away, unsuspectingly leading him to more mysteries of the island and the hospital.

There is a Halloween movie for everyone. Grab that bucket of candy and make a night of being scared. Don’t forget those blankets to hide under from the jump scares!

Like this? Check out @hercampuscwu on Instagram for more!

Hi y'all! I am a 4th year at Central Washington University! I am double majoring in psychology and biology with a specialization in biomedicine. I love crocheting! From sweaters to blankets to socks! I think it's so cool how we can create things out of just a bundle of yarn! I also love rabbits! My rabbit's name is Flynn and he loves bananas. Taylor Swift is my go-to girl for any kind of feeling!