This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As college students surviving through this pandemic, not only are we constantly craving new and exciting content, but we don’t have enough money to have every streaming subscription under the sun.

That’s why I’ve compiled a list comparing the most important features for selecting a streaming service. These features are monthly fees, student discounts, current discounts, number of simultaneous streams (that way, you know if your subscription can be shared), the respective app’s usability and, most importantly, if Studio Ghibli is available on the platform.

All of the streaming services listed below are ones I have, and I use them all; however, if you can’t afford that, hopefully, this list and the recommendations of shows on each will allow you some insight on which will be the best fit for you.

Streaming Service Netflix Hulu Paramount+ HBOmax Apple TV+ Prime Video Disney+
Monthly Fee $9.99-19.99 $6.99-12.99 $4.99-9.99 $9.99-14.99 $4.99 $12.99 $7.99
Student Discount $1.99 25% off $6.49
Current Deals 20% off monthly
# of Simultaneous Streams 1-4 2 3 3 6 3 4
App Usability* 5 4 3 2 2 3 5
Studio Ghibli Availability (Y/N) Not in the US and Canada N N Y Yes, not included in plan Yes, not included in plan N
*I have used a scale of 1-5 in order to designate how well the app runs. 1 means that that app is user unfriendly whereas a 5 designates a perfect app that is accessible on all devices.

Now that you have your base information for each service, I have compiled recommendations exclusive to each that I think make them worthwhile.
(*) denotes that I have yet to watch these but feel from its description it has potential.

Netflix’s Most Noteworthy Titles:

• CHEER
  • One Day at a Time
  • Blown Away
  • Mr. Iglesias
  • No Good Nick

Hulu’s Most Noteworthy Titles:

• Holly Hobbie*
  • The Ultimate Playlist of Noise*
  • Reservation Dogs*
  • Endlings*
  • Only Murders in the Building*

Paramount+’s Most Noteworthy titles:

• Why Women Kill*
  • Before I Forget*
  • Star Trek: Lower Decks*

HBO Max’s Most Noteworthy Titles:

• The White Lotus*
  • The Sex Lives of College Girls*
  • Genera+ion*
  • The Great Pottery Throw Down*
  • The Hype*

Apple TV+’s Most Noteworthy Titles:

• Foundation*
  • Dickinson
  • Cherry*
  • Truth Be Told*

Prime Video’s Most Noteworthy Titles:

• The Wilds
  • Tampa Baes
  • I Know What You Did Last Summer*
  • The Voyeurs*
  • Birds of Paradise*

Disney+’s Most Noteworthy Titles:

• The Mysterious Benedict Society
  • Just Beyond*
  • Encanto
  • Milo Murphy’s Law
  • Betty White Goes Wild*

Hopefully, this information helps you find the right subscription for you and if you already have one of the services I highly recommend checking out my recommendations to broaden your horizons. Maybe it’ll surprise you.

Her Campus CWU Writer Current Junior at Central Washington University Majoring in Liberal Studies with a Business minor A yellow enthusiast through and through