This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Many people do not receive help for mental health due to the stigma and discrimination around mental disorders/mental health in general. The stigma around mental health can be more prominent in BIPOC communities and can become a roadblock for individuals to seek help. It is important to keep in mind the different types of stigma/discrimination: social, institutional, and self.

A common phrase that is heard among people who stereotype those with mental illness is, “ They are seeking attention” or “Stay away from them, they are unpredictable”. This would be considered social stigma. Institutional stigma may look like the institution incorporates rules in its constitution against those who struggle with mental illness, or they purposefully make students lose certain opportunities due to the stigma around mental health. Finally, there is self-stigma. This could tie in with the others due to the fact that an individual may be influenced by what others say, but this could look like “ I don’t deserve to be happy” or “There’s no way I could do this.”

When stigma around mental health is spread, it expands the chances that individuals will not seek treatment. According to Mayo Clinic, some of the effects of stigma include:

• Reluctance to seek help or treatment
  • Lack of understanding by family, friends, co-workers, or others
  • Fewer opportunities for work, school, or social activities or trouble finding housing
  • Bullying, physical violence, or harassment
  • Health insurance that doesn’t adequately cover your mental illness treatment
  • The belief that you’ll never succeed at certain challenges or that you can’t improve your situation

Well since we know all of this, what can we do? There are many ways to help break the stigma around mental health.

Be Open about Mental Health

This is usually the first step a person can take to break the stigma. This can be done by talking with your friends and family about mental illness or posting on your social media about it. Although it may not seem like a lot, you never know if it can impact someone else to receive the help they deserve.

Be aware of Language

A person is not their illness. Instead of saying “They are bipolar,” say “They have bipolar disorder.” This is very important because if the wrong language is used, it can cause even more insecurity and stigma around it.

Join a Support Group

If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health, a great first step could be joining a support group. This can be beneficial because not only does it allow you to receive tips on how to cope with certain struggles, but it also shows that you are not alone.

Speak Out

Speaking out can be a very powerful and inspiring way to help reduce stigma and discrimination. This could look like speaking at public events, constructively criticizing someone when they are spreading false information or making jokes, and so much more.

Educating yourself and others is a very effective and powerful way to reduce the stigma around mental health.

If you or someone you know may be considering suicide, contact the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline by dialing 9-8-8, or the Crisis Text Line by texting HOME to 741741.

References:

Clinic, M. (2017, May 24). Mental health: Overcoming the stigma of mental illness. Mayo Clinic. Retrieved October 18, 2022, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mental-illness/in-depth/mental-health/art-20046477

Hi! My name is Michelle and I am a junior at CWU majoring in elementary education with a double minor in literacy and TELL! In my free time, I love to spend time with my cat and puppy, spend time with friends, and go to concerts!