This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

With summer coming we are heading into peak concert season. Sadly this year I am not too excited for it, especially after I attended the Sabrina Carpenter “Emails I Can’t Send Tour” in Seattle this month. Sabrina was great and I did have a great time listening to her, but in reality I was never really able to see her with the lack of concert etiquette from the crowd. I was constantly pushed and shoved by people who decided they wanted to be at the front even when they showed up late. People were filming entire songs. And yes, I also had my phone out to take photos and videos of parts but I would have never thought people would want to record a 3+ minute song. And not just that, people would record each song at its full length. It was really sad and brought down my spirits when I constantly saw so many phones up. You came to see the show, so put down the phone and watch it in person and not through a screen. Some other things I would recommend if you are going to a concert soon, especially if it is general admission only are:

• When going through security- BE READY!
    • There is no reason you shouldn’t be ready when it’s time to go through security and show your ticket. The process is the same almost anywhere and you have adequate time while you’re moving up in line to get your ticket out and prepare to put things away.
  • If you’re tall please do not step directly in front of someone shorter than you.
    • I know this one could come off as snobby or controversial but if you decide to step directly in front of someone shorter it’s kinda rude. And obviously anyone shorter has to suck up where they ended up, as it usually goes with general admission but, as a fellow short person I always try to find windows between people. At this Sabrina concert I had people turn around, saw how short I am and probably figured I couldn’t see anyways and thus would stand directly in front of me leaving no window.
  • Do not, I repeat do not shove your way to the front for whatever reason.
    • Unless there is an emergency, shoving yourself to the front can be really dangerous for yourself and the others around you. When you shove yourself to the front you can knock people off their feet and cause them to fall and they may not be able to stand back up if the crowd is extremely dense. You could also be shoved in the process of moving yourself leaving you in the same situation on the ground. This also applies if you decide to leave for a drink or the restroom, just know you are most likely giving up your spot.
  • Dance your heart out but Kindly.
    • I love to see people dance and really feel themselves to their favorite songs and artist but there is a fine line when it becomes obnoxious and can even be dangerous (circling back to #3). Just always be careful of those around you and who you may bump into, I have had my toes stepped on at a show and trust me it’s not fun. My biggest piece of advice if you really want to dance is to give up your spot in the crowd and find a nice open area if the back and go crazy! I’ve done this at a concert and it was honestly the time of my life!
  • Put the phone away!
    • As I’ve said previously- live in the moment, don’t watch the artist or band through a screen! Take some photos and possibly small video segments but really there is no need to record a whole song. When you have your phone out and held high for videos it takes away from the person behind you. This also applies if you bring a poster or banner. Do not keep it up the whole time! When you have your phone out constantly it makes the concert a “content farm” and takes away from the experience. You came to the concert to give yourself a special memory and experience but with your phone out it just seems as though you’re waiting for the right moment to get the perfect TikTok to go viral.

I think the downfall of concert etiquette is due to covid and not having the opportunity to be in this kind of crowd for 2 years. However, we must really try to do our best to make the most of the experiences in real time not just for ourselves but for those around you. Concerts and shows are there to create feelings of connection.

Hi y'all! I am a 4th year at Central Washington University! I am double majoring in psychology and biology with a specialization in biomedicine. I love crocheting! From sweaters to blankets to socks! I think it's so cool how we can create things out of just a bundle of yarn! I also love rabbits! My rabbit's name is Flynn and he loves bananas. Taylor Swift is my go-to girl for any kind of feeling!