This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

When I tell people I get sugarings the usual response is, “you get WHAT??”. Because of this, I have become pretty good at educating others on what exactly sugaring is, and even referring people to my Sugar Specialist Madison Cee. Madison is a licensed esthetician who has specialized in sugaring. She is located at the Cottage Salon in downtown Mt. Vernon, WA.

I first started searching for a sugar specialist when the lady who does my eyebrows suggested I check it out. At the time I had no idea what it was. I did a little research and couldn’t find a place near me or that was affordable. Then I stumbled upon Madison on The Cottage Salon Facebook page and the rest is history. Besides being great at her job, Madison is extremely personable, friendly, and professional. Once I met her I didn’t feel as nervous, she walked me through everything about sugaring and educated me on the difference between sugaring and waxing.

Sugaring tends to be a little more expensive than waxing, but that is because you pay for the expertise that a sugar specialist has to have. To be a sugar specialist you have to have an additional certification on top of your general esthetician license. And like many other service jobs, she is licensed in Washington State. Though it tends to be a little pricier than waxing, the pro’s of sugaring outweigh the higher price that comes with it and completely puts waxing to shame.

Cons to waxing: removal of multiple layers of skin in addition to the hair, pulls hair opposite direction of hair growth, PAIN, hot wax, redness, recovery time. All honesty, I cry EVERY TIME I get my eyebrows waxed. When thinking about getting a bikini wax, I would just cringe because I am very aware of my low pain tolerance, and the thought of hot wax down there where the skin is already sensitive freaked me out! So I never got a bikini wax, I just couldn’t bring myself to try it.

With sugaring it doesn’t remove layers of skin, the sugar is a taffy-like substance that is warm and warms up from body heat after the sugar specialist holds it for a few minutes to warm it up, so it will not burn, or be an uncomfortable temperature, making it easy to use on all areas of the body.

When sugared, the hair gets pulled in the SAME direction as hair growth, meaning it takes the whole hair instead of just what is grown out. This means your skin will be smoother and the sugaring lasts longer than waxing.

There is very little pain, more like slight discomfort depending on what is being sugared, but because it isn’t hot, the discomfort is for a few seconds and then you’re fine, versus waxing where it could be tender even an hour after being done. This also means no recovery time. What is typically recommended after a sugar is to avoid hot tubs and really hot showers for 24 hours, this is because the hairs have been completely taken out of their follicles. There is also an exfoliating sponge that is recommended to use in the shower on the areas you have sugared, this prevents ingrown hairs and keeps the area clean.

When I first started out, I just did an extended bikini sugar which goes lower than a general bikini line. But recently I have branched out and now get a Brazilian sugar and I get my armpits done as well. I know that that sounds crazy, but I have seriously never been happier than when I have my armpits sugared. I am very lazy when it comes to shaving my armpits. Getting them sugared has been the best thing ever! They are seriously SO SOFT and grow back is so much thinner. When your hair grows back after a sugaring it doesn’t even itch whereas when you shave, it can itch, and if you shave often you risk getting skin irritation. With sugaring, the ingredients are all-natural so you don’t have to worry about allergic reactions or skin irritation.

I have been seeing Madison for almost two years, and it took me until this August to try the Brazilian sugaring, and I am never going back to the Extended Bikini. I have less discomfort when getting the Brazilian than I did when I got the Extended Bikini.

For those of you completely new to the idea of waxing or sugaring, here is a nice picture of the different types of waxes/ sugarings that are common.

When first trying sugaring on any part of your body, you typically want about two weeks grow out. I usually do maintenance between 3-4 weeks. Sometimes I go 5 weeks depending on my schedule. Madison does maintenance pricing as well.

For all my eco-friendly ladies (and men), sugaring is applied just with the hands instead of with a stick like waxing. And is pulled just with the sugar instead of with strips on top of the wax. This means that when disposed of, it is completely biodegradable. So besides being better for you, sugaring has a smaller impact on the Earth than waxing, which means you can feel good while doing some self-care.

One of the things I talk with Madison about is the fact that I get sugaring done for myself, I don’t do it to impress anyone, or because my boyfriend “tells me to”. Quite frankly, my boyfriend doesn’t even care, he always tells me to do what I like.

When thinking if sugaring is right for you, remember that just like anything else in self-care, bubble baths, massages, working out, or being healthier, you should do it for you, and no one else. You should never feel like you must do certain things to impress someone or keep someone happy. If self-care turns into a burden then you’re doing self-care wrong. I do sugaring solely for myself. I admit I am totally lazy when it comes to shaving, not to mention I am terrified of accidentally cutting myself and having a bleeding mess everywhere! Getting a sugaring on a regular basis is the same as the people who get haircuts or their nails done on a regular basis. I look forward to my sugaring every month and feel refreshed and ready to take on the world.

Although I have focused on my experience with sugaring, men can get sugarings as well!

If you have further questions, you can reach out to my sugar specialist Madison on Facebook, or just take the leap and try it out to see for yourself why it is so amazing! Sugaring is the hidden gem in the world of self-care.

If you are from the Western Washington area you can find Madison Cee on her Facebook page: Sugaring by Madison or on The Cottage Salon Facebook page

If you are from the Kirkland or Seattle area, I have heard great things about Sugar Plum, and what is great about them is that they have four locations in Washington!

For those of you on the East side of Washington, I found a location in Moses Lake, called The Sugar Cube, She has affordable prices!

Current CWU student. Business Administration major specializing in Supply Chain Management. PNW Native. Vintage clothing enthusiast, animal lover, world traveler, and Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!