This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Saving money is seriously one of the hardest things to learn how to do. Being a college student, I find it extremely easy to throw my money around like it grows on trees. This is a tough habit to quit but there are a few simple tricks to help you spend less!

Make a List 

Everybody comes to a point in their life where they need to start paying bills, this being one of the great joys of adulthood. I have found that making a list of my monthly bills have helped me tremendously to save my money. When making a list, first write down all of the most important bills and how much each one costs. I would classify these bills to be rent, utilities, car insurance, gas, groceries, phone, etc. Next, write down the other things you pay for each month, examples being toiletries, Hulu or Netflix, Spotify premium, eating out too if you can budget it here and there. With these listed out, it gives you the chance to visually see all of your obligations each month and how much they all cost. Lastly, write down how much you make a month at your job or how many hours you’d need to work in order to pay for all of these and have some money left over. It is CRUCIAL to always have some money left over each month that you can set aside in case of an emergency. This will help you see how much you need to spend and how much you’ll have leftover each month.

Open a Savings Account 

Without having an actual account to save your money in, it would be really easy to spend whatever money you set aside if it’s just sitting in your desk drawer. Having a savings account is great because it adds up faster than you think but remember to put some money into it every time you get paid and add it to your list of important bills. Putting money into a savings account should always be a priority, you never know when you’ll need some extra ‘cha-ching’!!

Meal Prep and Window Shop

When I get really hungry I get desperate to eat as soon as possible and often end up eating out or getting fast food. Truly one of my worst habits and the biggest way to waste my hard-earned money. Oh, and don’t even get me started on grabbing the spring shoes on sale at the store or the buy-one-get-one on sunglasses . . . shopping is an addiction I can’t seem to overcome and I know I’m not alone with that. One way that I have been able to indulge in my habits while saving money have been through meal prepping and window shopping! If I can plan my meals ahead of time and take them with me to school and work, I have food at my fingertips when I get hungry and not only can I eat healthier that way but I can also avoid last-minute spending on fast-food. I love window shopping too because I don’t spend money on things I don’t need, if after a few days I am still thinking about a pair of earrings I saw I definitely go back and look at them again. A girl has to splurge once in a while, right?

These three small steps can make a big difference when trying to save money because it helps you prioritize, save smarter, and work harder in order to help yourself in the future in case of an emergency. The most important thing to remember is that it’s okay to still eat out and shop as long as you prioritize where your money is going!

Some may know me as Kp, I love to write, spend time outdoors, and do something new every day! Graduating from Central Washington University in 2019 Major: Public Relations Minor: Social Services