Style

The Rundown on the Golden Globes 2020 Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

The best part of the Golden Globes, in my opinion, is the fashion. While the Golden Globes is about recognizing the film and television industry, fashion is what really steals the show. When it comes to fashion, it can really be a hit or miss. Some of the Gold Globe outfits I saw this year were boring and too simple while other ones were very over the top and eye-catching. In this article, I will go over some of the most interesting ones.

Lucy Boynton 

This look of Lucy Boynton in Louis Vuitton is one of my favorites because of how original and unique it looks. While her outfit does somewhat represent tin material, I think the outfit suits her well. The space grey, metallic colors of her dress and shoes complement her eyeshadow and skin complexity very nicely. Her platinum blond hair also adds to the silver tones of this outfit. 

Kerry Washington

Kerry Washington wore Altuzarra in this look. This dress caught my eye because it is simplistic yet creates a bold statement. The slit in her dress along with the silver chain as a top changes an ordinary black dress into something totally different. While this outfit is scandalous it also comes off as classy because it is paired with a black blazer.

Joey King

Joey King is wearing Iris van Herpen in this look with Jimmy Choo shoes. This look is very hypnotizing and is one that probably made heads turn. The design of the dress creates a sort of illusion and frames her body very nicely. While black and white are very simple colors, the structure of her dress plays along with the colors in a unique way that creates dimension.

Shailene Woodley

Shailene Woodley is bringing back the disco era with this Balmain outfit paired with Bulgari jewelry. The geometric patterns in her dress and shoes create an interesting silhouette along with her leg cut out. The shimmery beads on this dress bring it to life and also make it look more festive.

Cate Blanchett

This dress is on the simpler side compared to some of the other dresses but still managed to catch my eye. Cate Blanchett wears Mary Katrantzou for her outfit paired with Stuart Weitzman shoes. The light yellow color of her dress complements her hair and skin complexion well. The silver accents in her outfit make it stand out more and also adds some contrast. An interesting aspect of her dress is the ruffles, especially the ones on her arms because they create interesting shape and they add layers. 

Overall, I think the outfits this year at the Golden Globes pleasantly surprised me. While some were not my cup of tea, a lot of them were very creative and well thought out. There is so much freedom when it comes to fashion and it is always fun to take a look at what fashion designers come up with. Fashion very much is a work of art and while some people may think these Golden Globes outfits are not a look, I think it is really based on your perception. 

Her Campus Writer Student at Central Washington University Majoring in Digital Journalism and Public Relations