Romance Holiday Movies for You to Watch This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Nothing else quite warms a heart like wearing cozy pajamas on a night-in and streaming a romantic holiday flick to get in all the festive feels. I typically love to start my winter break early by watching cheesy Christmas movies before Thanksgiving, but I know I can’t be the only one ecstatic preparing for the holidays to arrive. Over the years of watching the same old classics, there are a few notable romantic films that deserve extra attention for capturing the essence of the winter season spirit. Without further ado, grab your pet and make your hot chocolate because here are some of my favorite holiday movies that will have you falling in love.

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

Although this romantic holiday movie did not have such hot ratings, there is a great cast for the film with acting from Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner. The film takes on a similar plot of a Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens with a modern twist of McConaughey visiting his past, present, and future. Instead of being visited by ghosts, McConaughey is forced to reconnect with past ex-lovers and must reflect on why he broke so many women’s hearts. Viewers will have to be able to determine if McConaughey can put away his selfish behavior to have a chance at finding love.​

Love Actually

Released in 2003, Love Actually is a timeless British romantic film that focuses on eight couples and their love lives that all intertwine before Christmas. This movie has yet another incredible cast with Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth, Emma Thompson, and Keira Knightley. Get ready to fall in love with London in this famous romantic comedy!​

Last Christmas

Last Christmas is the romantic comedy of the year that I have yet had a chance to see in theaters. The film once again is set in London, England and stars Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding. Emilia lives her life celebrating Christmas year-round by working at a holiday shop as an elf, but her heart does not seem to be in the right place after an almost fatal accident the year before. Emilia stumbles upon Henry one day outside her store and the two begin a spark of undeniable romance. I think people will enjoy watching this movie for the holiday music by George Michael and Emilia Clarke’s singing. Be sure to check it out in theaters now!​

Overall, I hope some of these old and new holiday romance movies find their way onto your list of films to watch this winter season if you haven’t seen them already. There’s no place like home for the holidays, as they say, so get comfortable and watch a marathon full of seasonal winter romance movies to get you in the spirit!

Leslie is the Vice President and Chief Editor for Her Campus Central Washington University. As a senior at CWU studying English Literature, she hopes to one day become an investigative journalist. Her many interests include playing tennis, watching The Office, and traveling. Leslie is from Issaquah, Washington and she has been writing for Her Campus for two years.