This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

On social media and in society, so much of our lives are consumed by what we can produce. What we can accomplish in a certain amount of time. So much of our perceived worth and status is dependent on what we can produce, and it’s heavily reinforced by concepts like being “that girl” societal influence and needing to put so much of our lives on social media. Always working, hustling and making a name for yourself.

While these are definitely things to be proud of at the right time, there is an element of toxicity to always being this busy can convey. This concept of productivity culture is a general idea that being productive is something you should be doing all the time. Always accomplishing and getting things done with no room for downtime.

Gone are the days when we can study in the library without feeling compelled to snap a pic and caption it with a witty remark of how much you got done, or how much you have to do. Constantly bragging about how busy you are and how you have no time for yourself is seen as a flex among certain groups. So much content is pushed out by influencers and brands begging you to consume their content and buy their products so you can become more productive and live life to the fullest.

There are certain things that are very helpful, and there is a certain amount of productivity needed in everyday life; especially while you’re in college. You should be working toward your dreams, be working hard and have goals. My issue is not with being productive itself, however in productivity culture. Pushing through feeling like you need a break, and that the only way you can be satisfied and proud of yourself is by doing the absolute most every single day of your life is not sustainable and is a very harmful idea.

Social media is a huge spreader for productivity culture. Take a peek on any platform to find an endless amount of content centered around doing it all. Some may be motivating, but the general consensus follows that these people who are sharing their lives on social media are showing such a small portion. I think this is one of the most toxic things about productivity culture. These posts are edited to make it look like a day filled with nothing but checking things off of a to-do list, but not everything from that day was shown. Did the creator only show a few hours of their life? Did they shoot this video over the course of a few days? Did they have help? There is no way to know the truth, especially if we are viewing the content like its presented.

It can be incredibly misleading and reinforces the idea that they need to be constantly going to be of value. Productivity culture is so engrained that consuming the content can send a message similar to, “Wow they are being productive and I’m not. I should be doing something.” It’s become so normalized to feel shame or label yourself as lazy in this situation. There is nothing wrong with taking breaks and not being as productive as someone random on the internet (who, by the way, probably isn’t as productive as they make it seem). It’s not a waste of time to be doing something besides checking things off your to-do list.

I have fallen victim to this myself. After a long week of school and work I find myself wanting to do as little as possible on the weekends. I work hard and deserve a break, yet I find myself still scolding myself and thinking of all the things I could be doing besides laying down or watching a show. Productivity culture is so engrained that I would recognize this thought as normal. That I should be doing something to feel like I earned my place.

However, I am here to tell you that you have earned your place by just being here. You showing up and trying your best is all we can really ask for at the end of the day. Feeling the pressure to always do something is completely ridiculous and is the fastest road to burnout. Pushing yourself past your limits is not always worth it. Prioritizing your mental health and well-being is far more important than meeting societal expectations.

Your level of business has nothing to do with your value as a person. I encourage you to find a flow that works best for you. Get to know yourself and your limits. And when you feel completely over it, do not be afraid to take breaks. Like one of my favorite quotes by Mark Black, “Sometimes, the most productive thing you can do is relax.”

Zoe is a CWU Senior studying Elementary and Special Education. She loves to spend her free time with her cat Pip and loves to bake!