This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Recently I have realized how important it is to actively choose to have a positive outlook each day. It is so easy to fall into a negative space and get stuck in it. However, setting intentions for the day and repeating positive affirmations can go a long way.

Just saying simple reminders such as “I am doing my best” or “today is going to be a good day” can help set a positive tone for the day. In the past, I have gone through some pretty bad depressive stages in my life, but it all starts with changing your mindset. Setting an intention gives direction for where you want your day to go.

My daily morning routine always consists of waking up and then getting on my phone or watching tv for a while. Then after that, I go to work or attend a Zoom meeting depending on the day. A lot of the time my first thought in the morning is how bad I don’t want to get up and do school work. I’ll think about how tired I am and all the negative thoughts going around in my head. Recently though I have realized how important it is to wake up and focus on the positives of the day.   

Waking up early, getting out of bed, and writing down all the positive aspects of the day can really make all the difference. The law of attraction also comes into play with setting intentions. If you’re only focusing on negative thoughts, then you’re bound to carry out those negative thoughts throughout the day. However, if you’re setting intentions of how you want your day to go and what you want to accomplish, you are putting those thoughts into action.

Photo by Viktor Forgacs on Unsplash
Many people underestimate the power they have and let days, weeks, months, and even years go by without making any progress towards their life goals. Don’t underestimate the power of your mind and what it can do. Finding moments to reflect on the day or week is important as well. Having gratitude for the progress you’ve made, no matter how small, is part of the process. If you’re just using intention setting as a way to ask for more and more things, it’s not going to work. Setting intentions isn’t magic, it requires actions to back up those intentions. Holding yourself accountable is important during the process as well. Changing your routine can be hard, but in the end, it’ll pay off. It’s never too late to turn your life around. 

Her Campus Writer Student at Central Washington University Majoring in Digital Journalism and Public Relations