I just recently wrote an article discussing Pokémon Legends: Arceus and what its unique mechanics and changes mean for the Pokémon series. I speculated that this could mean a shift in the traditional format. A few days after that, it was announced that there would be a Pokémon presentation, and fans speculated what that meant. Lo and behold, on February 27th, it was revealed that the next main series Pokémon games, Scarlet and Violet, would be releasing in late 2022.

While we don’t know too much about the games yet, a few things have been revealed, including some major changes. The trailer revealed that the game will be a “wilderness with no borders,” implying that is it an open world. As I mentioned last week, this would be a huge step in a new direction. Other 3D Pokémon games have certainly felt open world, but this could be something entirely new, giving us a mix between the freedom in Legends: Arceus and the towns and trainers present in all of the other main games.

We also know that the Pokémon in the wild will be visible the whole time, like in Sword/Shield and Legends: Arceus. What isn’t clear is if the catching mechanic will change. In the main series games, to catch a Pokémon, you need to first enter a battle with it. In Legends: Arceus, this changed, making it so you could catch a Pokémon outside of a battle by sneaking up on it. Fans are torn between which they would prefer.

There are lots of other mechanics that are up in the air, like how the thrown items mechanic will work, if regional variants from Legends: Arceus will be available to transfer if Wonder Trade will be returned, and how many Pokémon will be present in the PokéDex.

What is not up in the air is how excited fans are. The Pokémon games tend to be based on real-world counties and regions, and Scarlet/Violet is no different. The game looks like it’s based on the Iberian Peninsula, where Spain and Portugal are located. This is supported by the architecture and names of the starter Pokémon, who have Spanish influences.

Speaking of the starters, the Pokémon Sprigatito, Quaxly, and Fuecoco were revealed with the game last month. Lots of speculation has already begun, trying to determine the future typing and evolutions of the three newest Pokémon. Some theories include Quaxly evolving to look like a pirate, Fuecoco being a Fire/Ghost-type, and Sprigatito staying on four paws vs two.  

No matter what, this news is exciting. Some fans have expressed concerns over the game’s release date being just months away. Others are critiquing the known changes and how mechanics are changing. And others still are complaining over style changes, such as the trainer outfits, the fonts for the titles, and the graphics of the game. No matter what, new news can be expected over the coming months, revealing more about the beloved franchise and the ever-growing world of Pokémon.

Secondary Education Major. Creative Writing Minor. Dog mom. Frog enthusiast. Player of video games.