This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Sometimes the emotions we feel are best said on paper. The thoughts we have can cascade down our arms and onto our hands and create the most beautiful melodies. Words can move us, change our perspective, and even guide us to a new future. Here are a few famous poems for every emotion, conflict, and need to gain back the power we once lost. 

Rondel of Merciless Beauty” by Geoffrey Chaucer

Scrabble tiles that spell out love
Photo by Jude Beck from Unsplash
Your two great eyes will slay me suddenly; Their beauty shakes me who was once serene; Straight through my heart, the wound is quick and keen. Only your word will heal the injury To my hurt heart, while yet the wound is clean— Your two great eyes will slay me suddenly; Their beauty shakes me who was once serene. Upon my word, I tell you faithfully Through life and after death you are my queen; For with my death, the whole truth shall be seen. Your two great eyes will slay me suddenly; Their beauty shakes me who was once serene; Straight through my heart, the wound is quick and keen.

Where I’m From” Saniya, 6th grade

group of diverse people holding hands
Photo by Wylly Suhendra from Unsplash
I AM FROM THE MILKY WAY TO THE EARTH

TO THE CONTINENT OF AFRICA

TO THE COUNTRY OF NIGERIA FROM WHOM MY ANCESTORS HAVE BEEN DRAGGED

I AM FROM THE COUNTRY OF THE UNITED STATES

FROM MY RELIGION OF BEING A MUSLIM

FROM AYESHA MUHAMMAD

FROM MICHAEL LARKINS

TO MY MOTHER’S CHILDHOOD TO THE NERDINESS I HAVE

FROM THE SUNSHINE I AM 

TO THE COURAGE I HAVE

I AM FROM A LONG LINE OF ANCESTORS WHO WOULD FIGHT FOR WHAT’S RIGHT

A LINE OF ANCESTORS WHO FOUGHT FOR FREEDOM

I AM FROM THE REASON MY GRANDFATHER DIDN’T FIGHT IN THE WAR

I AM FROM THE SEGREGATION MY ANCESTORS WENT THROUGH

FROM WHAT MY GRANDPARENTS DID FOR ME TO BE A MUSLIM TODAY

FROM VERY DISTINCT PERSONALITY

FROM VERY UNIQUE PEOPLE

THAT’S WHERE I’M FROM HOW ABOUT YOU?

Pain Ends” by Katy A. Brown

scrabble quote "you will be okay"
Photo by Sincerely Media from Unsplash
Breathe in the fresh air, Put your mind at ease. Let down your hair, Let it flow in the breeze. Let your eyes wander To all the beauty to be seen. If those toxic thoughts you still do ponder, Then let out a scream. Scream until the pain is gone, Until you no longer feel afraid. Open your eyes to a new dawn, Let the darkness fade. No longer compare yourself Or your flaws to others’ perfections. Take the negativity off the shelf. Focus on your direction. Pick the sadness up off the floor, Sweep it into the wind. Close the door on self-hatred. Never let it back in. For the lies, it would often tell you, You will no longer agree. Happiness and love are what you should hold onto. They are whom you should give the key. Pay no attention to the toxic thoughts, Listen to those who adore everything you are. Overthinking was what you once were taught, But now those thoughts you put in a jar. Focus on your goals, Never lose your fight. It’s time to open new scrolls. Everything will be all right.  

I hope you enjoyed these poems and that you can take something away after reading them. Possibly a new way of seeing the world, or a refreshing mental note to leave that bs in the past and move forward. Whatever the case may be, I just hope you enjoyed them! Remember, you are beautiful and strong.

HCXO

Creative and Professional Writing Aspiring author and publisher Gemini Slytherin house