This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Plants are natures décor, and with many dorm rooms being small and drab, they can be a perfect addition to spice up your living space. Not only do they add a pop of color and unique, natural silhouettes, but they’re good for the air and the lowest maintenance “pet” that is perfect for the dorm life style. Just like any living thing though, they need care. So, here are some tips and tricks for being the best plant parent you can be.  

Know Your Environment 

If you don’t have a window in your room, you’re going to run into some pretty immediate problems. Plants need sunlight to preform photosynthesis and stay alive, so if you don’t have access to a window you should probably stick with the faux variety of foliage. If you do find yourself with sunshine though, you’ll need centralize your plants around that area. Different varieties require different amounts of sun, so research involving the specific plant itself is necessary to properly care for it. Also, asses the temperature of the room and location of the air conditioner/heater, as prolonged exposer to more extreme temperatures can be detrimental. Once you’re aware of your space, you can make much more educated decisions on what kind of plants are best for you.  

Pick Your Plant  

Unfortunately, Birds of Paradise don’t grow the best everywhere, and the same is true for a lot of plants. Dorm rooms are tricky due to overall space for growth, and the climate. Never fear though because there are plenty of pretty plants that can populate your home. You’ll want a plant that is smaller, as previously mentioned space can be an issue, though hanging plants are a great way around that issue. Plants that are hearty and resilient are also your friend because they don’t require the upmost care and won’t die as easily. A great resource to use is your school’s arboretum. Central Washington University’s green house offers free plant Fridays sometimes and the teachers are there to help you decide on what plant you want and how to take care of it. Anyone in your school’s Botanical Department are great people to go to if you have any questions, as well as the internet.  

Finally, Start Your Journey in Plant Parenthood 

Make sure to provide a nice nesting place for your plant with appropriate drainage and size. You can really customize your experience with a cute pot, and if you’re on a budget the thrift store is a great place to find them. And then your off, before you know it your young sprout will be a full-grown plant, and you’ll be moving it into its own dorm room. With that, best of luck on your journey, and below listed are some of my personal recommendations for dorm greenery.  

Aloe Vera 

• Pretty and useful! Breaking off a tendril of aloe and squeezing it onto a burn or cut is very healing and helps with pain.  

Spider Plant 

• Very resilient and nearly impossible to kill. Also, they have very long leaves to create a pretty drape effect.  

Succulents 

• Probably the most common plant found in dorms, as cacti are involved in the species you can tell they just like sunlight and occasional water. Adding super cute shapes and colors to your room at very low effort.  

Now that you have all of this information, spice up your dorm room with one of these awesome plants. And welcome to ‘Plant Parenthood’! 

Lauren Miller is a sophomore at Central Washington University majoring in Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandizing. She enjoys Mac Miller, grapefruits, and acrylic nails. Her goal is to eventually study at Parsons School of Design in New York, and one day, be a designer at fashion weeks all over the world.