This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I LOVE a good rom-com. For some reason, the combination of the cheesiness of comedies and the cliché nature of romance movies provides a sense of escapism for me. I mean who doesn’t enjoy watching people beg for their lives for someone who might be out of their league or for someone who’s not even ready for a relationship? I’ve watched way too many movies within this genre, so coming up with a list of my favorites was difficult, to say the least. However, I made it through and now we’re going to get right into it. Here are my 5 current favorite romcoms in no particular order.  

5. The Proposal (2009)

Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock, and Bette White, how chaotic could you get right? If your boss, with whom you have no friendly relations whatsoever asked to marry you, would you say yes? As you can imagine, the plot is as chaotic and exciting as its star cast.

4.   Think Like a Man (2012)

I could write a whole essay about how much I love this movie, but sadly, we’re not doing that today. The gist of it is an ensemble cast navigating their way through adult relationships as the female characters try to figure out what men really want. The movie is based on Steve Harvey’s book of the same name.

3.  10 Things I Hate About You (2008)

I have never read Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew, which, is what this movie is based on. However, I don’t need to read it to fall in love with Heath Ledger’s character in the movie. The chemistry between Julia Styles and Heath Ledger is electrifying, I honestly can’t think of a better word.  This movie has angst, angst, and more angst. What more could you want?

2. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (2016)

Now, I know there are so many mixed opinions on this movie but hear me out. I’ll say it right now, this movie is so much better than the kissing booth…sorry. Yes, I know the movies were released around the same time, and they attract similar viewers but in terms of quality, To All the Boys simply reigns superior. The secret love letters you wrote to your crushes in middle school getting exposed can be quite overwhelming. If you haven’t read the book or watched the movie, you’d be surprised to see the turns the plot makes.

1.  She’s the Man (2006)

As a soccer fan, this movie adds a bonus to my expectations of a good rom-com. Of course, it has its unbelievable scenes and “they cannot be serious” moments, but overall, it’s a feel-good romcom with enough angst and drama to level the playing field.

Communication Studies She/her International Student