My Thoughts On Midnights by Taylor Swift 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Following the release of her re-recorded album Red (Taylor’s Version) last fall, I don’t know what I was expecting to come next from Taylor Swift, but it certainly wasn’t this. Last month, Swift announced that she would be releasing a tenth record that was not a re-recording and it would focus on many of her sleepless nights of recollecting memories and, for lack of a better word, mayhem. It is a concept album that is basically reflecting on all of her restless nights as a musician, something I didn’t think she would ever give to us following Evermore and Folklore, which had only a few biographical songs. 

Now that the album is finally out, I have many thoughts. Almost too many. I thought it would be fun to do a little review of the tracklist and the album as a whole. Bear with me, here. 

Track #1: Lavender Haze

I am so glad I decided to write this after a few days of this album being out because if I had started writing this during my live reaction, I wouldn’t feel the same way about this song. It definitely grew on me. Production-wise, my brain needed a few listens before it could entirely grasp the dance-pop genius that is this song. Lyrically, I love that this song walks us through two different things: her falling in love and her taking her time to do so, despite what the public and media want her to do. My favorite thing about this song is the sample of Hard Feelings/Loveless performed by Lorde and produced by Jack Antonoff, along with its melody sounding a lot like I Think He Knows from Lover. 

Favorite Lyric: “Talk your talk and go viral, I just need this love spiral”

Cry Meter: 1/10

Overall Ranking: 13/21 (This sorter will solve all your ranking worries.)

Track #2: Maroon 

This song means so much to me and I knew it would from the very start. From the smooth kick drum to Taylor’s wistful voice, I instantly feel transported by the visuals she provides in her lyrics. After just reading the title, I already thought it would have something to do with the Red era and after listening to it, it seems like it could be about a red love she once experienced with another one of my favorite artists. The “cheap *ss screw top rose” reminds me of another song that mentioned rose… (It’s the 1 off of folklore. Yeah, I know.) This song feels almost like you keep reaching for that love that was so passionate and, dare I say, treacherous, to the point where it becomes too dark. The outro of the song conveys the darkness of that love turning to a scarlet, maroon color when Taylor is almost speaking the lyrics, rather singing them, with a melancholy tone to her voice. It’s a masterpiece. 

Favorite Lyric: “And I wake with your memory over me / That’s a real f*ckin’ legacy to leave

Cry Meter: 7/10

Overall Ranking: 1/21

Track #3: Anti-Hero

This song brings us right back to that pop beat from the first track. The difference with this one, however, is that it is a self-loathing banger. There’s no better way to say it. Taylor is telling us all of her biggest fears and is owning up to her self-avoidant moments and there’s something so vulnerable about confronting yourself like this. Pair that up with the genius pop production and Bleachers-esque sound that is Jack Antonoff, you’ve got a hit single.

Favorite Lyric: “I have this thing where I get older, but just never wiser”

Cry Meter: 5/10

Overall Ranking: 8/21

Track #4: Snow On The Beach ft. Lana Del Rey 

This song is so beautiful and focuses on that rare love that happens unexpectedly, like snow on the beach. And I get it. People were excited about a Lana verse and so was I. But I think the song is perfect. Sure, it would have been nice for Lana to get a verse after she started harmonizing with Taylor, however, I think Lana’s harmonies make the song so pretty. It literally feels like it was taken from Chemtrails over the Country Club. If you think about it like that, it’s not so disappointing anymore. 

Favorite Lyric: “Can this be a real thing, can it?”

Cry Meter: 8/10

Overall Ranking: 6/21

Track #5: You’re On Your Own, Kid

Ouch. We’ve seen some coming-of-age songs from Taylor before, but this one brings its own sense of existentialism that we haven’t really heard yet. After listening to it many times and seeing theories online, I’m still not too sure what each verse represents. Some say that each line can be connected to each of her eras, which would mean that she is talking to her younger self and telling her that she can make it through these trials and tribulations. On the other hand, I also like that this song can be applied to us, her fans, and those who listen to her music. One of the things I love about this song is that she does that thing where each chorus says the same thing, that “you’re on you own kid, you always have been”, but then the last chorus says “you’re on you own kid, you can face this.” It’s something so small but she turns the whole song around, into something more hopeful. It reminds me of evermore ft. Bon Iver, which is another one of my favorites.

Favorite Lyric: “So make the friendship bracelets, take the moment and taste it / You’ve got no reason to be afraid”

Cry Meter: 9/10

Overall Ranking: 4/21

Track #6: Midnight Rain

You know when you hear a song for the first time and from the very start, you know it’s going to be on repeat for a very long time? That was Midnight Rain for me. I saw that so many people were turned off by the intro being a distorted vocal chorus, but that is my favorite thing! And when it clears up so you can clearly hear the lyrics of the chorus. Genius. It’s a song about feeling like you’re too much for someone who’s so positive and wonderful, eventually having to leave them because they deserve better. It’s like The Way I Loved You, but instead of sitting there and wishing for a passionate love affair, she lets them go. And it reaffirms the fact that some people aren’t meant to be. This song is perfect. So much so, that it’s too short. 

Favorite Lyric: “He wanted it comfortable, I wanted that pain”

Cry Meter: 9/10

Overall Ranking: 1/10

Track #7: Question…? 

This is the anthem for the petty girlies. With every word, the listener gets another hint of distaste for the person Taylor is talking to. There are many theories about who exactly she is directing these questions at, however, I think the relatability of the song makes the ‘who’ unimportant. It’s a great song for when you just wish they had tried harder in the relationship. 

Favorite Lyric: “Did you wish you’d put up more of a fight?”

Cry Meter: 0/10

Overall Ranking: 10/21

Track #8: Vigilante Sh*t

I knew there had to be a song, from one of those sleepless nights, that might involve some Mad Woman energy but I was not expecting this. With some sampling from Ready For It…? and some really specific storytelling, this song is as bad*ss as it gets. I am pretty sure it’s about getting revenge against Scooter Braun and how people like him deserve what’s coming to them. I loved that she put it all out there and let us know that she’s still angry, even if that situation will always make her tears ricochet. I’m sorry, I had to. 

Favorite Lyric: “I don’t dress for women / I don’t dress for men / Lately, I’ve been dressing for revenge”

Cry Meter: 0/10

Overall Ranking: 12/21

Track #9: Bejeweled

This song is so cute. It was not my favorite from my first listen and I’m still warming up to it. However, I love the concept of it and I really do enjoy it when Taylor writes with her glitter gel pen. The song screams Lover era and there’s something so nostalgic-feeling about that, even though Lover was only a few years ago. 

Favorite Lyric: “Didn’t notice you walking all over my peace of mind”

Cry Meter: 1/10

Overall Ranking: 17/21

Track #10: Labyrinth 

I don’t even know where to start with this one. I LOVE this song. It might be simple and, again, too short. But it is everything I love in a song. The few lyrics that are there are powerful and the beat rises and falls just like our minds when falling in love. It reminds me of the Archer, but instead of remaining stagnant in the anxious feeling, it does transport into a club-like beat that fades out the song. I just love music that takes you somewhere and Labyrinth definitely takes you there.

Favorite Lyric: “It only feels this raw right now / Lost in the labyrinth of my mind”

Cry Meter: 8/10

Overall Ranking: 5/21

Track #11: Karma

A lot like Bejeweled, this is a wonderful track that is ready for the radio. It’s cute and catchy, a great song to listen to with friends. Another fun concept: karma will always give its best to the best and its worst to the worst. 

Favorite Lyric: “And I keep my side of the street clean / You wouldn’t know what that means”

Cry Meter: 0/10 

Overall Ranking: 18/21

Track #12: Sweet Nothing 

Oh, how I wish I was in love. The fact that Taylor wrote this with her Lover makes it that much sweeter. It sounds like the most beautiful love letter and lullaby all wrapped up in a cozy blanket. I love being a hopeless romantic.

Favorite Lyric: “To you, I can admit that I’m just too soft for all of it”

Cry Meter: 9/10

Overall Ranking: 7/21

Track #13: Mastermind

This is a perfect closing track! Absolutely perfect! It is a great way to follow Sweet Nothing because of how it is, essentially, a re-write of Invisible String; claiming that without Taylor’s infatuation with her s/o and her commitment to carry out her plans of them meeting, they might not have ever happened. And with the sampling of Supercut by Lorde (+ Jack), this song was made to close an album! 

Favorite Lyric: “I’m only cryptic and Machiavellian ‘cause I care”

Cry Meter: 6/10

Overall Ranking: 9/21

So, there you have it. These are my thoughts about each track. I loved this album and it already means so much to me. Many swifties also know that when it comes to the release of a new album by Taylor Swift, there are some surprises in store. The biggest surprise with this album was at 3 am, hours after the release of Midnights, the 3 am version was dropped. This version included seven more tracks, totaling the album to consist of 21 songs. So next week, I will be diving into that version in another article. Stay tuned!

Communication + Advertising Pisces