Kayla Bacon-Paddle Board Summer
Kayla Bacon-Paddle Board Summer
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

My Summer Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

For anyone who’s wondering, my favorite season is undoubtedly summer. Not only is my birthday in August, but I also thrive in the sun. The good weather and summer sports during the season boost my mood tenfold. I live in a really green and sunny area of Washington that is great for late-night hangouts with friends, without a care in the world. DQ and Sonic are open until 12 and the parks give off the most welcoming ambiance thanks to the Columbia River being so close. Despite working up to 40 hours each week, I’ve got a few things that I absolutely need to check off my summer bucket list.

1. Learn How To Paddleboard

I’ve been yearning to learn how to paddleboard for LITERAL YEARS now, and I feel like this is the summer where I finally do it. There’s the cutest shop in the downtown area near the river in my hometown that rents out paddleboards for a couple of hours that’s walking distance to the river. I think they also provide classes for beginners, but my god complex tells me I can do it (maybe not, but we’ll see).

2. Take a day-Trip to Seattle

It occurred to me while living in Ellensburg that I’ve hardly been to Seattle. I’ve loved every experience I’ve had in the big city and feel like I should take at least one trip up there this summer. There are so many picturesque places there and I think it would be so fun to go up with a couple of friends for the day or for a weekend. If not for the sightseeing, you know I’m going because of the new Coraline/LAKIA exhibit at the Museum of Pop Culture.

3. Swim as Much as Possible

Okay, so not the biggest fan of swimming in the river (with the algae and such). However, my grandma has a pool that I used to love as a kid. With the amount of Aerie bathing suits I spend money on, I really need to put them to good use. Also, I underestimate the amount of exercise you get out of swimming. Sounds like ill be having quite a number of pool parties this summer.

4. Learn how to Tan

Friends, I don’t think you understand how hard it is for me to tan in the sun. Express tan is my best friend, believe me. Every time I try to tan in the sun I either put on too much sunscreen or not enough and end up burning. I’ve tried everything and I cannot seem to figure out the perfect ratio. I’ve been wanting to try out the Maui Babe Browning Lotion cause it seems like a lot of people swear by it, so I guess we’ll see if I can train my pale a** skin to tan.

5. Take Photos

Finally, I feel like I never get enough photos of the moments that I want to really remember. So, in an attempt to take more images this summer, I’ve Invested in a digital camera. My friend in Hawaii always gets the best digitals of our friend group in the summertime, I thought I’d give it a try as well. After all, I’ll only be 19 once. I’m happy and young and I want to remember the moments that matter. Here’s to (hopefully) the best summer yet!

Hi there! My name is Anna and this is my first year on the CWU Her Campus team! I am extremely interested in all things social media, theater/broadway, and criminal law! I'm from the beautiful Tri-Cities, Washington, and have 3 dogs back at home (I know, I'm a dog mom which automatically makes me THAT cool). I've always had a passion for all things theater and entertainment. I also dance here at Central for a dance company, so you might just catch me in a few productions! I'm so excited to take you along with me on my journey through college as I attempt to navigate this big ol' scary world! So excited to see what Her Campus has to offer, and I hope you enjoy my work!