Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

My Ride-Or-Die Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

If anyone has stepped foot in my bathroom and seen my counter, you know two things: I love my Bath and Body Works foaming soaps and I have a deep passion for skincare. Ever since I was little, I’ve had skin concerns. I have super sensitive skin, and in addition to that, I’ve dealt with severe cystic acne since middle school. I ended up having to go on Accutane at one point and since then, I’ve developed a skincare routine that I swear by. So, if you have dry, acne-prone, and sensitive skin like me, you might wanna run out and grab some of these items.

1. Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence

I absolutely love this product! I use it every day before my makeup in combination with a couple of other things. It has done such good work in healing and getting rid of my acne scars. I know the concept of snail mucin may freak people out, believe me, I was also skeptical at first, but CosRx prides itself in being completely cruelty-free. Additionally, I assure you that no snails are harmed in the process!

2. The Ordinary Niacinamide and Zinc Serum

It is no secret that I cannot get enough of this brand (Spoiler Alert: this is not the only item from The Ordinary that will appear on this list). After having to do extensive research on what would be good for my skin post-Accutane, I found an ingredient called Niacinamide. It is so great for healing and repairing the skin barrier. The addition of zinc contributes strongly to building up that barrier, so when I found this serum, I knew I had to get it. I use this every other day and mix it in with my snail mucin before I put on my SPF and Makeup.

3. First Aid Beauty Weightless Liquid Mineral Sunscreen (SPF 30)

For a long time, I didn’t use sunscreen (Bad idea)! Never fear, I quickly learned the importance of SPF when I went on Accutane because if you don’t wear it, your skin can peel and burn more easily while on the medication. Even while not on a medicine that can alter your skin’s susceptibility to the sun, UV rays can cause long-term consequences. Also, real talk, who likes getting a sunburn? Not me! I’ve recommended this product to so many people at this point that I think I’ve lost count. This product is perfect for those who want a little tint with their sunscreen, as well as one that doesn’t pill or flake off when you rub it in. It has a high SPF that won’t cause your skin to sting and dries down to be weightless. 10/10 for sure!

4. The INkey List Oat Cleansing Balm

After a long day of classes, work, and homework, this makeup-removing cleansing balm is perfect for my first cleanse. I really love this product, it’s not too thick which is something that I feel is much too common with cleansing balms. Also, The Inkey List has super cost-effective products, with this only falling at 11 dollars at Sephora (I know right??). If you’re looking for a game-changing makeup remover, I would strongly recommend this one!

5. CeraVe Hydrating Cream-to-Foam Cleanser

I always see those fun little Instagram posts that ask you what that one product is that you couldn’t live without…well this is mine. I struggled to find a cleanser post-Accutane that was gentle enough on my skin without overly stripping it but also had the ingredients to make me see some sort of improvement. I tried this cleanser when it first came out and will not use another cleanser for the rest of my life, I swear! I love the ingredients that CeraVe makes sure to incorporate into all of its products, such as ceramides and essential amino acids. All of their products work actively to not only improve the overall look of your skin but also the health of it.

6. The Ordinary 100% Cold-Pressed Organic Rose Hip Seed Oil

I was gifted this product for my birthday one year and I haven’t put it down since. It’s such a versatile product, as I use it for so many things like dermablading and that extra boost of hydration on a dry day. The instant glow it gives my skin is so satisfying and the smell isn’t overpowering in the slightest. Rose Hip Seed Oil is great for brightening your skin, preventing blackheads and reducing inflammation. Similar to The Inkey List, The Ordinary is super affordable and I usually get one bottle for 10 dollars at Ulta!

7. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream

As someone who has super dry skin, especially in the wintertime, this product and products like this are great for my skin. Thick creams are so much better than gel moisturizers at hydrating because they are able to seep deeper into the skin and continuously hydrate even hours after application. Colloidal oatmeal, which is a big ingredient in this moisturizer, helps lock in the moisturizing ingredients within the cream. It also helps soften the feel of your skin and soothes irritated skin. It’s a lifesaver!

My Final Thoughts…

At the end of the day, each person has different skin. Whatever works for you is what you should stick with, unless you’re noticing issues that may be caused by those products. If any of these things stood out to you or may give you what you’re looking for with your skincare journey, give them a try! I know I love them. However, don’t be discouraged if they don’t work for you! Finding your skincare routine is a process that may take time, but it is totally fine. You are beautiful, you are important and you are loved. Whatever your skin looks like, you are so valid and stunning! Never forget that and hold your head up high!

Hi there! My name is Anna and this is my first year on the CWU Her Campus team! I am extremely interested in all things social media, theater/broadway, and criminal law! I'm from the beautiful Tri-Cities, Washington, and have 3 dogs back at home (I know, I'm a dog mom which automatically makes me THAT cool). I've always had a passion for all things theater and entertainment. I also dance here at Central for a dance company, so you might just catch me in a few productions! I'm so excited to take you along with me on my journey through college as I attempt to navigate this big ol' scary world! So excited to see what Her Campus has to offer, and I hope you enjoy my work!