This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I’ve wanted to get a professional facial done my whole life. Growing up in a small, rural community, we didn’t have access to salons with services like that. I don’t ever let other people pamper me. I was raised to be fiercely independent (and I have control issues). It has always just been easier to do things for myself. I do my own acrylics and gel nails, I don’t get my hair colored and I cut it myself… Most things that people get done to treat themselves don’t even cross my mind. 

As I’ve grown, I’ve brushed aside the crazed teenage need, but the desire only grew over quarantine. As I watched ASMR videos of people getting cleansed and massaged, and having expensive masks put on their faces with hot towels, I knew I wanted that experience; the problem was, I didn’t know where to start, and the thought of spending $150 on a facial pained me. 

What I didn’t know, was that beauty schools function as full-service salons, and lucky for me, Ellensburg has one right downtown. The Bluestone Academy of Cosmetology has more available services than I have ever seen, mostly because they train both cosmetologists and estheticians. Their website had so much availability, I wasn’t sure they were actually accepting clients. I decided to make the appointment anyway for the very next day.

When I got to the salon, there was a line out the door of people waiting to check in for their appointments. My esthetician was the sweetest 19-year-old student, and we hit it off immediately. She was so kind and her attention to detail regarding my skin concerns was obvious. They have you fill out a form where you describe your skin type and concerns, and if you have any allergies. 

She double-cleansed me, I got an enzyme mask that felt so amazing and tingly, a super hydration mask, two hot towels, and double moisture with SPF at the end. I went into the facial wanting to enjoy it and relax, but I ended up talking with my esthetician for the entire hour and a half. I am not exaggerating when I say my skin looked like glass. Literal glass. You could see your reflection in my skin. Then it was time to ring me up; 24 DOLLARS. I knew it was a beauty school, but I didn’t expect it to be that cheap for the quality of service that I received. Because the students don’t get to keep the money they made from the appointment, it’s super important to tip what you can!

Overall, I cannot recommend doing this enough. I got to my car, and the only reason I didn’t burst into tears is because I didn’t want to mess up all the product she put on my skin. I have never felt more relaxed or cared for. This salon was a literal dream and I hope everyone can experience the level of tranquility that I did. Thanks for checking in! 

aquarius | english education