This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Since everyone is cooped up inside and dying for entertainment I’m sure, I thought I’d recommend some of my favorite horror movies. These aren’t in any particular order and I have many other movies that could have made the list, but here are the first few that made the cut.

Two jack-o-lanterns
Beth Teutschmann

Hereditary

Hereditary is an absolute gem, I cannot wait to see what else Ari Aster comes up with (Midsommar was great too but I liked Hereditary more). This movie was enticing from start to finish and ended in a way that I thought was really interesting and unique. I really enjoy Ari Aster’s style so far, and I completely fell in love with Hereditary. I would describe it, but it’s so interesting to see for the first time that I really don’t want to give anything away. 

Saw series

The entirety of the Saw series is great and some of my favorite movies. The writers of the Saw movies always somehow find a way to come up with new torture techniques and captivating games that the people Jigsaw, an intelligent puzzle maker, captures must escape. Considering there are seven Saw movies (8 if you count Jigsaw), this series is perfect for binging. 

Moon
aron visuals

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

This movie probably isn’t for those who are squeamish. It follows a father and son duo performing an autopsy on a corpse that died under mysterious circumstances. How do you make an entire movie just about an autopsy, you ask? Let’s just say it’s not a regular autopsy, and you’ll be staring open-mouthed at the screen (or hiding behind a blanket) by the end of it.

The Witch

Ah, a good old-fashioned witch hunt. Unlike some of the previous movies I’ve listed, this movie doesn’t feature a whole lot of gore. This movie is about a family in the 1630s that has a religious dispute with the Puritan Plymouth Colony and moves away to a location near a dense forest. The family ends up suspecting one of the family members is a witch and…you can watch it to find out what happens. It’s a truly captivating movie and I’d highly recommend it. You might see the movie titled “The VVitch” in some instances, as in the 1630s the use of the letter W was not widespread yet, so “The VVitch” was used to be historically accurate.

Pile of logs
Sharad Bhat

V/H/S

This movie features five short films that are found by some men in a house. The films are in the style of found footage and are all pretty unique and different from each other. This movie is a wild ride, and one of the shorts that are featured is bound to make you uncomfortable. 

The Visit

A couple of kids go stay with their grandparents, and the trip doesn’t turn out like it probably should. This movie will have you on the edge of your seat more and more as the movie progresses. It’s more of a thriller than a horror, but it was really good.

Some honorable mentions include American Psycho (one of my all-time favorite movies) Midsommar, Mother!, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Void, Sinister, Creep, The House that Jack Built, and, of course, The Human Centipede.

Look for these on streaming sites like Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon, and thanks for reading!

HCXO

Abby Duchow is a Wenatchee Valley College alum and current student studying Public Relations at Central Washington University. She enjoys listening to podcasts, online shopping, and petting cats. Abby almost entirely operates on caffeine, and hopes to one day expand her plant collection beyond just replacing the dead ones.