This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

When I was first introduced to birth control, the pill was the most popular option. And while that still reigns true today, not everyone uses the pill. I was put on the pill at 16, but after about a year of taking the pill, I switched to a birth control implant called Nexplanon. The pill made me break out and caused horrible mood swings, so it was definitely not for me. Nexplanon has changed the game in terms of birth control and gives women the option to not take the pill and avoid painful IUD insertions.

Plan B
Alexandra Redmond / Spoon

The process of getting on Nexplanon was not difficult. All I had to do was talk to my OBGYN and she gave me all the details about preparing for Nexplanon insertion and what to expect after insertion. A week later, I had the implant inserted into my left arm. The insertion itself was pretty painless, the only pain I felt was when my OBGYN numbed my arm with a numbing shot. After that, it was pretty simple. I could feel a little piece of plastic in my left bicep, and there was some bruising around the area for about a week. 

Getting the birth control implant was honestly a great option for me. I don’t have to worry about taking a pill every day, and the implant lasts for three years! I even switched back to the pill for a little bit and eventually went back to the implant because it was a much better choice of contraception for me.

Whatever your choice of contraception may be, make sure to choose one that is right for you! It takes some trial-and-error, but there really is a contraception option for everyone. 

Like this article? Be sure and check out our other features this week!

HCXO

Self-love advocate and intersectional feminist with a passion for music, photography, and writing (she/her)